'Anne Of Green Gables' is a famous novel by Lucy Maud Montgomery which was written and published in the year 1908.
Montgomery drew inspiration from the real-life story of Evelyn Nesbit who an orphan and mistakenly sent to two siblings who had wanted a boy to work on their farm but received a girl. Lucy decided to infuse this idea in her work of fiction.
The novel records the mental growth of the protagonist named Anne Shirley, and it is her maturity that allows her to give up on her scholarship to stay home and tend to her guardian, Marilla Cuthbert, in the end. It has multiple characters and the book carries a different kind of spirit to it. It eventually became one of the best series of books. It has also been adapted into a Netflix series. The novel is filled with quotes that are relevant to life. Here is a list of some of the best ones.
If you like our content, you can check out other articles like, ['Charlotte's Web' quotes] and ['Alice In Wonderland' quotes].
'Anne Of Green Gables' Book Quotes
Looking for child and people quotes about the life of Anne and Marilla who are the iconic characters from the L.M. Montgomery book 'Anne Of Green Gables'? Look no further as here is a list of some of the famous book quotes from 'Anne of Green Gables'.
1. "We pay a price for everything we get or take in this world; and although ambitions are well worth having, they are not to be cheaply won, but exact their dues of work and self-denial, anxiety and discouragement."
-The Narrator, chapter 36.
2. "I just couldn’t help thinking of the little girl you used to be, Anne. And I was wishing you could have stayed a little girl, even with all your queer ways. You’ve grown up now and you’re going away; and you look so tall and stylish and so - so different altogether in that dress - as if you didn’t belong in Avonlea at all - and I just got lonesome thinking it all over."
-Marilla, chapter 34.
3. "All the Beyond was hers with its possibilities lurking rosily in the oncoming years - each year a rose of promise to be woven into an immoral chaplet."
-The Narrator, chapter 35.
4. "It almost seemed to her that those secret, unuttered, critical thoughts had suddenly taken visible and accusing shape and form in the person of this outspoken morsel of neglected humanity."
-The Narrator, chapter 11.
5. "I think you’d better learn to control that imagination of yours, Anne, if you can’t distinguish between what is real and what isn’t."
-Marilla, chapter six.
6. "Here sat Marilla Cuthbert, when she sat at all, always slightly distrustful of sunshine, which seemed to her too dancing and irresponsible a thing for a world which was meant to be taken seriously."
-The Narrator, chapter one.
Anne Shirley Quotes
Anne Shirley is the main character of the book 'Anne Of Green Gables.' She is imaginative and talkative, pretty stubborn as well and can be associated with kindred spirits. Here is a list of 'Anne Of Green Gables' quotes from the book.
7. "I’ve done my best, and I begin to understand what is meant by ‘the joy of strife’. Next to trying and winning, the best thing is trying and failing."
8. "There’s such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I’m such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn’t be half so interesting."
9. "One can't stay sad very long in such an interesting world, can one."
10. "It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will."
11. "What a splendid day! Isn't it good just to be alive on a day like this? I pity the people who aren't born yet for missing it...they may have good days, of course, but they can never have this one."
12. "I had made up my mind that if you didn’t come for me tonight I’d go down the track to that big wild cherry tree at the bend, and climb up into it to stay all night. I wouldn’t be a bit afraid, and it would be lovely to sleep in a wild cherry tree all white with bloom in the moonshine, don’t you think?"
13. "I can’t cheer up — I don’t want to cheer up. It’s nicer to be miserable!"
14. "If I wasn’t a human girl, I think I’d like to be a bee and live among the flowers."
15. Anne’s beauty-loving eyes lingered on it all, taking everything greedily in. She had looked on so many unlovely places in her life, poor child; but this was as lovely as anything she had ever dreamed."
- The Narrator, chapter four.
16. "My life is a perfect graveyard of buried hopes."
17. "The world looks like something God had just imagined for His own pleasure, doesn't it?"
18. "Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
19. "If I really wanted to pray I’ll tell you what I'd do...I'd go out into a great big field all alone or in the deep, deep woods and I'd look up into the sky—up—up—up—into that lovely blue sky that looks as if there was no end to its blueness. And then I'd just feel a prayer."
20. "The world doesn’t seem such a howling wilderness as it did last night. I’m so glad it’s a sunshiny morning. But I like rainy mornings real well, too."
21. "There is no use in loving things if you have to be torn from them, is there? And it's so hard to keep from loving things, isn't it? Do you think amethysts can be the souls of good violets?"
22. "All sorts of mornings are interesting, don’t you think?"
23. "I've just been imagining that it was really me you wanted after all and that I was to stay here for ever and ever. It was a great comfort while it lasted. But the worst of imagining things is that the time comes when you have to stop and that hurts."
24. "I do hope that some day I shall have a white dress. That is my highest ideal of earthly bliss."
25. "Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?"
26. "Green Gables is the dearest, loveliest spot in the world."
27. "I don't know, I don't want to talk as much...it's nicer to think dear, pretty thoughts and keep them in one's heart, like treasures. I don't like to have them laughed at or wondered over."
28. "There was in it thankfulness for the past and reverent petition for the future; and when she slept on her white pillow her dreams were as fair and bright and beautiful as maidenhood might desire."
29. "But you have such dimples. Lovely dimples, like little dents in cream. I have given up all hope of dimples. My dimple-dream will never come true; but so many of my dreams have that I mustn't complain. Am I all ready now?"
30. "That night Anne...knelt sweetly by her open window in a great sheen of moonshine and murmured a prayer of gratitude and aspiration that came straight from her heart."
-The Narrator, Chapter 32.
31. "Can you eat when you are in the depths of despair?"
32. "Well, that is another hope gone."
33. "Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It’s splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world."
34. "God’s in his heaven, all’s right with the world"
35. "Just as soon as you attain to one ambition you see another one glittering higher up still. It does make life so interesting."
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for 'Anne Of Green Gables' quotes then why not take a look at ['The Book Thief' quotes], or ['A Wrinkle In Time' quotes].
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.