Fun Rainbow Smelt Facts For Kids
- What type of animal is a rainbow smelt?
- What class of animal does a rainbow smelt belong to?
- How many rainbow smelt are there in the world?
- Where does a rainbow smelt live?
- What is a rainbow smelt's habitat?
- Who do rainbow smelts live with?
- How long does a rainbow smelt live?
- How do they reproduce?
- What is their conservation status?
- What do rainbow smelts look like?
- How cute are they?
- How do they communicate?
- How big is a rainbow smelt?
- How fast can a rainbow smelt swim?
- How much does a rainbow smelt weigh?
- What are the male and female names of the species?
- What would you call a baby rainbow smelt?
- What do they eat?
- Are they dangerous?
- Would they make a good pet?
- Did you know...
- Is Rainbow smelt an invasive species?
- How did rainbow smelt get to Ontario?
Rainbow Smelt Facts
What Did They Prey On?Zooplankton, small ciscoes, and other small organisms
What Type of Animal were they?Carnivore
Average Litter Size?8,000-69,000 eggs
How Much Did They Weigh?0.0625-0.375 lb (30-170 g)
What habitat Do they Live In?rivers, coastal areas, and ponds
Where Do They Live?coastal regions of north america and lakes in the ottawa valley in the st. lawrence river watershed
How Long Were They?6-10 in (15-25 cm)
How Tall Were They?N/A
Scientific NameOsmerus mordax
What Do They Look Like?Olive green on the back, with purple, pink, and blue iridescence on the sides and a silvery belly
Skin TypeWet and slimy scales
What Are Their Main Threats?invasive species, fluctuations in water level in spawning streams, Humans
What is their Conservation Status?Least Concern
We Want Your Photos!
More for You
1) Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising. We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the Buy Now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published but we cannot guarantee that on the time of reading. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon. We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.
2) At Kidadl, we strive to recommend the very best activities and events. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability. Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
3) Because we are an educational resource, we have quotes and facts about a range of historical and modern figures. We do not endorse the actions of or rhetoric of all the people included in these collections, but we think they are important for growing minds to learn about under the guidance of parents or guardians.