Get inspiration for education!
Subscribe for virtual tools, STEM-inspired play, creative tips and more
Daydreaming is usually a pleasant experience in which people slip into wishful thinking while awake.
W.H. Auden beautifully describes a daydream as a meal comprising of images. Some people are gourmets, some are gourmands, and many have their images precooked that they have with little relish.
Excessive daydreaming can be an indication of maladaptive daydreaming, a psychiatric condition that distracts people from their real life.
Discover and share the best quotes about daydreams, daydreaming of you quotes, and keep your daydream quotes with us. We bring you a curated list of the best daydreaming quotes by popular authors and influential figures including Charlaine Harris, W.H. Auden, Ian Mcewan, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Charles Darwin, Gaston Bachelard, Logan Pearsall Smith, Peter S Beagle, Lucy Maud Montgomery and much more.
Other than our list of daydreaming quotes and quotes about the dream world, you can also check out these [dreamcatcher quotes] or [sleep quotes].
Best Daydreaming Quotes And Daydream Sayings
Explore our collection of best daydreaming quotes and daydream sayings. These daydream quotes are fun to share with friends who love to build air castles and indulge in daydreaming all the time. Here are some great daydreaming quotes and daydreaming about you quotes by authors like Charlaine Harris, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Gaston Bachelard, Logan Pearsall Smith and Charles Darwin. Which of these daydreaming quotes is your favorite?
1. “Lying in bed and daydreaming was the best thing I did all day.”
2. “If you ever catch me daydream, please, don’t wake me up.”
3. “They say there’s no harm in daydreaming, but there is.”
4. “A daydream is a meal at which images are eaten. Some of us are gourmets, some gourmands, and a good many take their images precooked out of a can and swallow them down whole, absent-mindedly and with little relish.”
5. “Is daydreaming a distraction from work, or work a distraction from daydreaming?”
6. “The cost of oblivious daydreaming was always this moment of return.”
7. “Visualization is daydreaming with a purpose.”
8. “Every exceptional writer holds a Master of Arts in Daydreaming.”
-Richelle E. Goodrich.
9. “One man’s daydreaming is another man’s day.”
10. “Daydreaming is one of the key sources of poetry, a poem often starts as a daydream that finds its way into language and walking seems to bring a different sort of alertness, an associative kind of thinking, a drifting state of mind.”
11. “Daydream, imagine, and reflect. It’s the source of infinite creativity.”
12. “Daydream transports the dreamer outside the immediate world to a world that bears the mark of infinity.”
13. “All important progress made by the human race has its roots in daydreaming.”
14. “Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind.”
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
15. “It’s really splendid to imagine you are a queen. You have all the fun of it without any of the inconveniences and you can stop being a queen whenever you want to, which you couldn’t in real life.”
-Lucy Maud Montgomery.
16. “People don’t come to church for preachments, of course, but to daydream about God.”
17. “I’m often daydreaming, and it’s because I’ve always liked the idea of there being something more than the normal world.”
18. “You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time. The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we’re doing it.”
19. “Daydreaming allows you to play out scenarios where you miraculously save the day. You play out scenarios in your head that are kind of crazy, and then you personally, heroically resolve them.”
20. “Like everyone, appearing smart during meetings is my top priority. Sometimes this can be difficult if you start daydreaming about your next vacation, your next nap, or bacon.”
21. “Children are trained to think linearly instead of imaginatively; they are taught to read slowly and carefully, and are discouraged from daydreaming. They are trained to reduce the use and capacity of their brain.”
22. “If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.”
23. “I try to maintain a healthy dose of daydreaming, to remain sane.”
24. “Thought is the labor of the intellect, reverie is its pleasure.”
25. “Daydreaming with pencil and paper is a respectable form of meditation.”
26. “Will you gather daydreams or will you gather wealth? How can you find your fortune when you cannot find yourself?"
27. “Daydreaming incubates creative discovery.”
28. “Without daydreams, the self is apt to shrink down to the size and shape of the estimation of others.”
29. “Prepare while others are daydreaming.”
-William Arthur Ward.
30. “A vision without action is called a daydream; but then again, action without a vision is called a nightmare.”
31. “Everything I know, see or hear, every part of my life is transformed into dresses. They are my daydreams, but they have passed from dreamland into the world of everyday items to wear.”
32. “If I sit and daydream, the images rush by like a succession of colored slides.”
33. “The trouble is that thinking looks like loafing. Who wants to pay people for daydreaming?”
-W. Somerset Maugham.
34. “Let yourself daydream sometimes…Allow spontaneous images to come and go. Capture one in a sketch. These images express connections with your inner self.”
35. “Social media could be very strong in terms of bringing people together but it also takes up so much of people’s time that I wonder if we’ve lost the ability to daydream.”
36. “Creativity is an attempt to resolve a conflict generated by unexpressed biological impulses, such that unfulfilled desires are the driving force of imagination, and they fuel our dreams and daydreams.”
37. “Hammer the iron that lies on your anvil instead of daydreaming about working silver.”
38. “True imagination is not fanciful daydreaming; it is fire from heaven.”
39. “To lose one’s self in reverie, one must be either very happy, or very unhappy. Reverie is the child of extremes.”
40. “Sweet, crazy conversations full of half sentences, daydreams and misunderstandings more thrilling than understanding could ever be.”
41. “I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day.”
42. “If you don’t daydream and kind of plan things out in your imagination, you never get there, So you have to start someplace.”
43. “How many of our daydreams would darken into nightmares if there seemed any danger of their coming true!”
-Logan Pearsall Smith.
44. “A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.”
45. “Sometimes, in a summer morning, having taken my accustomed bath, I sat in my sunny doorway from sunrise till noon, rapt in reverie.”
-Henry David Thoreau.
47. “But I’m always dreaming, even when I’m awake; it is never finished.”
-Peter S. Beagle.
48. “The reveries of two solitary souls prepare the sweetness of loving.”
-Gaston Bachelard, ‘The Poetics of Reverie’.
49. “Daydreams were dangerous because they made her wish for things she could never have.”
50. “I daydream about things I want to happen, but none of it is more complicated, most of the time, than just really hoping that the good parts and the well-written parts are the ones that turn up on my doorstep.”
51. “If your vision doesn’t cost you something, it’s a daydream.”
-John C. Maxwell.
52. “Nothing happens unless first a dream.”
53. “Dreams are the seedlings of realities.”
54. “It may be that those who do most, dream most.”
-Stephen Butler Leacock.
55. “If you’ve never stared off in the distance, then your life is a shame.”
56. “Thought is the labor of intellect, reverie is its pleasure.”
57. “I don’t dream at night, I dream all day; I dream for a living.”
58. “All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.”
-Thomas Edward Lawrence.
59. “I believe in everything until it’s disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it’s in your mind. Who’s to say that dreams and nightmares aren’t as real as here and now?”
60. “Active imagination requires a state of reverie, half-way between sleep and waking.”
Famous Daydreaming Quotes And Daydream Sayings
Looking for more daydreaming quotes to share with your fellow daydreamers? We’ve rounded up the most famous daydreaming quotes and dream quotes that cover everything about daydreams and give you more insight about daydreaming. Here are some more famous daydreaming quotes by the likes of Terri Guillemets and incredible works about daydreaming such as ‘The Poetics of Reverie’. These fun and wise daydreaming quotes also make for perfect daydreaming captions for Instagram. Which of these daydreaming quotes is your favorite?
61. “Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
62. “Writing a book is always a hard job. One is always tempted to limit oneself to dreaming it.”
-Gaston Bachelard, ‘The Poetics of Reverie’.
63. “It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.”
64. “A state of reverie does not avoid reality, it accedes to reality.”
-W. Somerset Maugham.
65. “I undertake the same project as Montaigne, but with an aim contrary to his own: for he wrote his Essays only for others, and I write my reveries only for myself.”
66. “The reveries of youth, in which so much energy is wasted, are the yearnings of a Spirit made for what it has not found but must forever seek as an ideal.”
-William Ellery Channing.
67. “Leisure for reverie, gay or somber, does much to enrich life.”
-Mary Ritter Beard.
68. “The world went on, as it does, without my full participation, and I only woke up from the reverie when someone said my name.”
69. “Dreaming after all is a form of planning.”
70. “Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one.”
71. “Closed in a room, my imagination becomes the universe, and the rest of the world is missing out.”
72. “Looking back, I guess I used to play-act all the time. For one thing, it meant I could live in a more interesting world than the one around me.”
73. “When you compare the sorrows of real life to the pleasures of the imaginary one, you will never want to live again, only to dream forever.”
74. “If something is there, you can only see it with your eyes open, but if it isn’t there, you can see it just as well with your eyes closed. That’s why imaginary things are often easier to see than real ones.”
75. “Reality depresses me. I need to find fantasy worlds and escape in them.”
76. “Great ideas emerge from useless fragments of thoughts.”
-Michael Bassey Johnson.
77. “They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.”
-Edgar Allen Poe.
78. “The work you do while you procrastinate is probably the work you should be doing for the rest of your life.”
79. “Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.”
80. “In that sweet mood when pleasant thoughts bring sad thoughts to the mind.”
81. “One man’s daydreaming is another man’s day.”
82. “A daydream is an evasion.”
83. “The difference between a vision and a daydream is the audacity to act.”
84. “Dream like a child. Reason like an elder. Play like a youth. Work like an adult.”
85. “All men who have achieved great things have been great dreamers.”
-Orison Swett Marden.
86. “Dreams have only one owner at a time. That’s why dreamers are lonely.”
87. “Daydreaming incubates creative discovery.”
88. “People say being a dreamer is a bad thing, well isn’t there a saying that says “thoughts become things.”
89. “Feed your dreams, not your nightmares.”
90. “Daydreaming subverts the world.”
91. “Dreams are kinder than reality.”
92. “We’re all dreamers.”
93. “Like all dreamers, I took disenchantment for truth.”
94. “They say there’s no harm in daydreaming, but there is.”
95. “Read. Dream. Repeat.”
-Richelle E. Goodrich.
96. “One dreams all day as well as all night.”
97. “How do you smuggle daydreams into reality?”
98. "Whistle your soundtrack, daydream your future."
99. “How’s daydreaming affecting nightmares?? Showing the light where is all dark."
-Ana Claudia Antunes.
100. “A daily dose of daydreaming heals the heart, soothes the soul, and strengthens the imagination.”
-Richelle E. Goodrich.
101. “My plans are still in embryo, a town on the edge of wishful thinking.”
102. “I dream with my eyes open.”
103. “You know what, your imagination works faster than your mind.”
104. “I have had dreams, and I’ve had nightmares. I overcame the nightmares because of my dreams.”
105. “Think of many things; do one.”
106. “Wishful thinking is not sound public policy.”
107. “No, matter where you’re from, your dreams are valid.”
108. “A lot of people tell me I’m a bit dreamy, but I like the idea of that. Of being somewhere else.”
109. “The dream was always running ahead of me. To catch up, to live for a moment in unison with it, that was the miracle.”
110. “Everything is so dreamy when you are young. After you grow up it kind of becomes – just real.”
111. “One form of escapism is daydreaming.”
-Kilroy J. Oldster.
112. “People love escapism and there should be a place for it.”
113.”A daydreamer is a writer just waiting for pen and paper.”
-Richelle E. Goodrich.
114. “Everything that’s lovely is But a brief, dreamy kind of delight.”
115. “Daydreaming is the purest form of being. Take that away and One suffers.”
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for daydreaming quotes, then why not take a look at dream big quotes or sweet dreams quotes.
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.