Get inspiration for education!
Subscribe for virtual tools, STEM-inspired play, creative tips and more
A sense of belonging means feeling at home somewhere.
A sense of belonging is a wonderful thing. When one has this sense of belonging, it brings them such peace and joy.
Everybody needs to feel belonging in their life, as it offers a place of tranquility and leads to a fulfilling life. Here are some of the best belonging quotes, and some quotes about not belonging, along with some "where do I belong?" quotes. We hope these quotes will help you find your happy place.
The Best Belonging Quotes
Here you will find some of the best quotes about belonging.
1. "Do more than belong: participate. Do more than care: help. Do more than believe: practice."
2. "Those who have a strong sense of love and belonging have the courage to be imperfect."
- Brene Brown.
3. "Being engaged in some way for the good of the community, whatever that community, is a factor in a meaningful life."
- Patricia Churchland.
4. "There is a reason the word belonging has a synonym for want at its center; it is the human condition."
- Jodi Picoult.
5. "When you get to a place where you understand that love and belonging, your worthiness, is a birthright and not something you have to earn, anything is possible."
- Brene Brown.
6. "Love is saying yes to belonging."
- David Steindl-Rast.
7. "Believing that you are unworthy of love and belonging or that who you are authentically is a sin or is wrong, is deadly."
- Laverne Cox.
8. "There was neither horizon, cloud, nor sound; of that pink, spread silence even I had become part, belonging as much to sky as to earth. "
- Emily Carr.
9. "I celebrate myself, and sing myself, And what I assume you shall assume, For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you."
- Walt Whitman.
10. "Honor belongs to those who never forsake the truth even when things seem dark and grim, who try over and over again, who are never discouraged by insults, humiliation, and even defeat."
- Nelson Mandela.
11. "Longing, felt fully, carries us to belonging."
- Tara Brach.
12. "To witness that calm rhythm of life revives our worn souls and recaptures a feeling of belonging to the natural world. No one can return from the Serengeti unchanged, for tawny lions will forever prowl our memory and great herds throng our imagination."
- George Schaller.
13. "The good life is best construed as a matrix that includes happiness, occasional sadness, a sense of purpose, playfulness, and psychological flexibility, as well autonomy, mastery, and belonging."
- Robert Biswas-Diener.
14. "An expectation is a future object, recognized as belonging to me."
- Samuel Alexander.
15. "You can only exist, you can only belong to yourself, and you can only be responsible for your own happiness or belonging or whatever. That broken-part-piece-whole thing is just a trick of the mortal mind."
- Jackson Pearce.
Famous Belonging Quotes
Here are some of the famous quotes about fitting in along with a few identity quotes that you can tell your friends about.
16. “I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. This is what I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now.”
- C.S. Lewis.
17. “We belonged to each other, but had lived so far apart that we belonged to others now. Squatters, and only squatters, were the true claimants to our lives.”
- Andre Aciman.
18. "Tell me with whom you associate, and I will tell you who you are."
- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe.
19. "Your actions are your only true belongings."
- Gautama Buddha.
20. "Not belonging is a terrible feeling. It feels awkward and it hurts as if you were wearing someone else's shoes."
- Phoebe Stone.
21. "Language, identity, place, home: these are all of a piece - just different elements of belonging and not-belonging."
- Jhumpa Lahiri.
22. “Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.”
23. "Why do we even bother? Why do we make ourselves so open to such easy damage? Is it all loneliness? Is it all fear? Or is it just to experience belonging with someone else?"
- David Levithan.
24. “I have an idea that some men are born out of their due place. Accident has cast them amid certain surroundings, but they have always a nostalgia for a home they know not."
- W. Somerset Maugham.
25. "You cannot change any society unless you take responsibility for it, unless you see yourself as belonging to it and responsible for changing it."
- Grace Lee Boggs.
26. "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it."
- Abraham Lincoln.
27. "No house should ever be on a hill or on anything. It should be of the hill. Belonging to it. Hill and house should live together each the happier for the other."
- Frank Lloyd Wright.
28. "Tomorrow belongs to those of us who conceive of it as belonging to everyone; who lend the best of ourselves to it, and with joy."
- Audre Lorde.
29. "We are driven by five genetic needs: survival, love and belonging, power, freedom, and fun."
- William Glasser.
30. "I belong! I am important! I am somebody!”
- Beatrice Sparks.
31. "By building relations we create a source of love and personal pride and belonging that makes living in a chaotic world easier."
- Susan Lieberman.
32. “That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you're not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong.”
- F. Scott Fitzgerald.
33. "Being an American is a state of mind, and to be in a family is to feel the power of belonging, the power of your roots."
- Esai Morales.
Empathetic Belonging Quotes
Here you will find quotes on belonging to share with friends as well as empathetic quotes by different authors about belong and not belonging.
34. "I long, as does every human being, to be at home wherever I find myself."
- Maya Angelou.
35. "When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
- Aldo Leopold.
36. “A generous heart is always open, always ready to receive our going and coming. In the midst of such love, we need never fear abandonment. This is the most precious gift true love offers - the experience of knowing we always belong.”
- bell hooks.
37. “She didn't belong anywhere and she never really belonged to anyone. And everyone else belonged somewhere and to someone."
- JoyBell C.
38. "What is this you call property? It cannot be the earth, for the land is our mother, nourishing all her children, beasts, birds, fish, and all men. The woods, the streams, everything on it belongs to everybody and is for the use of all. How can one man say it belongs only to him?"
39. “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”
- Mahatma Gandhi.
40. "If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other."
- Mother Teresa.
41. "We want true belonging, but it takes tremendous courage to knowingly walk into hard moments.”
- Brene Brown.
42. "Positive feelings come from being honest about yourself and accepting your personality, and physical characteristics, warts and all; and, from belonging to a family that accepts you without question."
- Willard Scott.
43. "We long to belong, and belonging and caring anchors our sense of place in the universe."
- Patricia Churchland.
44. "Building community is to the collective as spiritual practice is to the individual."
- Grace Lee Boggs.
45. "To belong to someone—I didn’t know it, but now that I think about it seems like that’s all I’ve ever wanted. To really be somebody’s, and to have them be mine.”
- Jenny Han.
46. "Bean could see the hunger in their eyes. Not the regular hunger, for food, but the real hunger, the deep hunger, for family, for love, for belonging."
- Orson Scott Card.
47. "Act as if you were separate from nothing, and no one, and you will heal your world tomorrow."
- Neale Donald Walsch.
48. "They listened to the music, each hearing it in his own way of belonging, feeling relaxed and a part of the music, a part of each other, and almost a part of the world. ”
- Hubert Selby Jr.
49. "Can a man be poor if he is free from want, if he does not covet the belongings of others, if he is rich in the possession of God? Rather, he is poor who possesses much but still craves for more."
- Marcus Minucius Felix.
50. "Actually everybody has a story, a fairy tale in their heart that they adhere and belong to."
- Phoebe Stone.
51. "I realized that my truest passion was for helping people change through faith in a higher power. That meant, for me, belonging to the church. Using my abilities to bring Christian doctrine to a postmodern world."
- James McGreevey.
Sense Of Belonging Quotes
Here you will find some inspiring sense of belonging quotes written by famous authors.
52. “Don't be a pepper on the eyes of people; rather be the salt on their tongue and make a difference that influences their sense of belonging to the earth.”
- Israelmore Ayivor.
53. "When I meet a new person, I am on the lookout for signs of what he or she is loyal to. It is a preliminary clue to the sense of belonging, and hence of his or her humanity."
- Haniel Long.
54. "A sense of belonging is not physical. We can't find it by changing where we live or what we do. We have to carry it within us."
- P. C. Cast.
55. "We can never get a re-creation of community and heal our society without giving our citizens a sense of belonging."
- Patch Adams.
56. "People will typically be more enthusiastic where they feel a sense of belonging and see themselves as part of a community than they will in a workplace in which each person is left to his own devices."
- Alfie Kohn.
57. "Lowell is my home. It is where I drew my first breath. It is where I will always derive a sense of place and a sense of belonging."
- Paul Tsongas.
58. "We know that where community exists in confers upon its members' identity, a sense of belonging, and a measure of security... Communities are the ground-level generators and preservers of values and ethical systems."
- John Gardner.
59. "Because true belonging only happens when we present our authentic, imperfect selves to the world, our sense of belonging can never be greater than our level of self-acceptance.”
- Brene Brown.
60. "Giving connects two people, the giver and the receiver, and this connection gives birth to a new sense of belonging."
- Deepak Chopra.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for belonging quotes then why not take a look at these you are enough quotes and self-love quotes for more great quotes?
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.