Recent searches (0)
Anything beautiful to the eyes immediately becomes catchy and attractive.
Such is the purpose of calligraphy. It gives words and number writing a deeper meaning.
Calligraphy is a very common style of writing. Many artists have turned it into a passion adding in their own styles and personality. It is one of the most suited decorative styles of writing in almost every item - paper and ink, a perfect love story. Wedding invitation cards, huge posters, T-shirt designs, and calligraphy birthday quotes are some of the examples where it can be witnessed. This style of writing gives more life to the words on a page of a book or wherever it is. It is one of the things that add beauty and character in this world.
What started with questions and answers writing in English, has now seeped into many languages worldwide with new techniques adding to this beautiful art form. Whether you are a calligrapher or not, these modern calligraphy quotes will definitely inspire to learn more about this attractive way of writing. So let's dip our pen in the ink and get started.
Calligraphic writing in English and any language is a treat for the eyes. And only a few people can express it well in words, by use of ink, brush, and paper. Following are some of the modern calligraphy inspirational quotes by some influential people, that will motivate you to write questions and answers in the way of this beautiful art form. Some of these are cute calligraphy quotes from the heart that may bring new light to your life.
1. “Calligraphy is an art form that uses ink and a brush to express the very souls of words on paper.”
- Kaoru Kakogawa
2. “Just as writing can become calligraphy when it’s creatively, skillfully, and consciously performed, so can all other activities become art. In this case, we are reflecting upon life itself as an artistic statement—the art of living.”
- H.E. Davey, 'Japanese Yoga: The Way of Dynamic Meditation'
3. “Addison spoke in calligraphy while everyone else talked in scribbles.”
- Shawn Martin, 'Shadow Flesh'
4. “Calligraphy may well be simply an artistic version of another form, that is the ideograms which make up the poem, but then not only does it reflect the character and temperament of the artist but . . . also betrays his heart rate, his breathing.”
- Dai Sadie, 'Once on a Moonless Night'
5. “Calligraphies are our images, Maestro, images of our faith.”
- Mathias Étard, 'Parle-leer de bastilles, de roes et elephants'
6. “Calligraphy is a kind of music not for the ears, but for the eyes.”
- V. Lazursky
7. “Calligraphy is the most intimate, private, and spontaneous expressive means. Like a fingerprint or voice it is unique with every person.”
- German Zapf
8. “Modern calligraphy” is the folk-art class of script forms that is easy for someone to learn, compared with the more formal hands of calligraphy that take much time and effort to master. Modern calligraphy is a class of trendy scripts that are characterized by bounced and rounded lettering, which is closer to freestyle handwriting than historical calligraphy and its variations.”
- Steve Husting
9. “Do calligraphy which is more like you’re handwriting. Connect your letters in ways which no machine can do. This is the future of calligraphy.”
- Ina Salts
10. “Always introduce a bit of imperfection, because calligraphy is made by the human hand, not a machine, and human imperfections will always be more appealing to humans than perfection.”
- Ina Salts
11. “Bad calligraphy is making forms that are unsure, insecure, self-conscious, whereas good calligraphy unites the freedom of the hand with the mastery of tool and self in performance, whether letterforms be present or absent.”
- Steven Skaggs
12. “Calligraphy has always existed in that place of tension between what the letterform desires: to be completely principled, and what the hand desires: infinite freedom of gesture.”
- Steven Skaggs
13. "The furthering of calligraphy in our own time above all serves self-realization by developing man’s creative talents. Calligraphy frees emotions and abilities which are hidden in the depths of personality. It activates the power of the soul."
- Karageorge Hoefer
14. “Each letter in every script known to man holds an eternal power, an individual beauty in its vertical, horizontal, angular lines, in their continuity.”
- Achyut Palov, 'Indian Calligrapher'
The art of calligraphy writing is widely recognized. It extends to words, number writing, and signage. Even the most popular icons in the world have something to say about it. Read below to find out the famous calligraphy and lettering quotes, that will inspire you to write more in this beautiful ink style.
15. “Letters act as practical and useful signs, but also as pure and inner melody.”
- Wassily Kandinsky
16. “I never did calligraphy… But handwriting is an entirely different kind of thing. It’s part of the syndrome of modernism… It’s part of that asceticism.”
- Paul Rand
17. “Calligraphy is the ultimate synthesis of what I love: language, art and human connection.”
- Joy Deneen
18. "Just above our terror, the stars painted this story in perfect silver calligraphy. And our souls, too often abused by ignorance, covered our eyes with mercy."
19. “A written letter is like a bowl filled with a certain content. The purer the content, the more delicate strings of the human soul it touches.”
- L. Provence, Russian Calligrapher
20. “Perfection of handwriting needs proper education, regular exercises, and purity of the soul.”
- Yakut Mutasim, Turkish Calligrapher
21. “What joy there is in hearing yourself think,
and to make that thinking into ink.”
- John Olsen, Australian Artist
22. “For the largest part ill handwriting in the world is caused by hurry.”
- Lewis Carroll
23. “Calligraphy: disciplined freedom is the essence of it, as of any other just form of government.”
- Raymond F. Diboll
24. “A friend of mine once mentioned something one of his teachers had told him: 'Calligraphy is like the leaves of a tree. Every letter has the same basic shape and size, but each one is unique.'”
- Christopher Calderhead
25. “Calligraphy, a spiritual art that has been forgotten in favor of an emotionless keyboard.”
- Stefan Bolder
26. “Calligraphy — the dance, on a tiny stage, of the living, speaking hand...”
- Robert Brenthurst, ‘The Elements of Typographic Style, 1992’
Calligraphy is very related to writing on paper. Even though few are gifted with beautiful writing, some can always enhance it with practice. Hence, we relate handwriting with calligraphy in these hand lettering quotes.
27. “Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting.”
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
28. “You can tell a lot about a person by their handwriting.”
- Pete Doherty
29. “A woman's perfume talks more about her than her handwriting.”
- Christian Dior
30. “I like the process of pencil and paper as opposed to a machine. I think the writing is better when it's done in handwriting.”
- Nelson DeMille
31. “Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently.”
- Jean Cocteau
32. “Handwriting is a spiritual designing, even though it appears by means of a material instrument.”
33. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen your handwriting before. It’s an oddly personal thing, isn’t it?”
- Ann Aguirre, 'Aftermath'
34. “Irony, we want our handwriting to look like typed fonts, and our computer fonts to look like handwritten text.”
35. “We are living out the drama of a pathetic story whose pages are smeared with our own handwriting.”
- Craig D. Landsborough
36. “Handwriting is the shackle of the mind.”
37. “The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”
- John Adams
38. “Hand writing causes thinking - the repetition of writing your goal everyday will increase your awareness. The true purpose of a goal is to help you grow.”
- Bob Proctor
39. “Handwriting is more connected to the movement of the heart.”
- Natalie Goldberg
40. “Print is predictable and impersonal, conveying information in a mechanical transaction with the reader’s eye. Handwriting, by contrast, resists the eye, reveals its meaning slowly, and is as intimate as skin.”
- Ruth Ozeki
41. “All our prayers are addressed in the handwriting of the heart.”
-Karl G. Maser
42. “Mathematics is the handwriting on the human consciousness of the very Spirit of Life itself.”
- Claude Fayette Brandon
43. “Her handwriting was curious, small sharp little letters with no capitals (who did she think she was, e. e. cummings?)”
- Erich Segal
44. “She may have looked normal on the outside, but once you'd seen her handwriting you knew she was deliciously complicated inside.”
- Jeffrey Eugenides
45. “The handwriting on the wall may be a forgery.”
- Ralph Hodgson
46. “Every man has one thing he can do better than anyone else--and usually it's reading his own handwriting.”
- J. Norman Collie
47. “I saw that bad handwriting should be regarded as a sign of imperfect education.”
– Mahatma Gandhi
48. “Handwriting is autobiography.”
– Carrie Latte
49. “That handwriting was a girl. I mean, you can tell. The enchanted cursive.”
50. “One ought only to write when one leaves a piece of one's own flesh in the inkpot, each time one dips one's pen.”
- Leo Tolstoy
51. “There are five virtues: accuracy, literacy, a strong hand, industriousness, and the perfect writing utensils”
- Mir-Ali Khoravi
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked all our suggestions for 50+ Best Calligraphy Quotes About The Beautiful Art Form then why not take a look at more quotes like Scrapbooking Quotes, or [Vintage Quotes].
Read The Disclaimer
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.