Get inspiration for education!
Subscribe for virtual tools, STEM-inspired play, creative tips and more
Dandelions are often considered to be a symbol of emotional healing.
Although dandelions are technically weeds, their beauty lies in the symbolism. Their leaves have a variety of uses, including curing illnesses, and the folklore surrounding them stems from the soft yellow form of the flower.
You can often find dandelions in the most unexpected places and that is because of their ability to survive even in the most difficult conditions. This is hugely symbolic and their persistence gives us hope in chaos.
Rich with symbolism, dandelions teach us to look deep beneath the surface of anything to know its real value. Commonly referred to as fairy clocks, they open around 5 a.m. and close at 8 p.m.
Dandelions are often accompanied by superstitions, the most common one is all about wishing on them. It is believed that once the flowers turn into those white globes of exposed seeds, known as 'puffballs', you can close your eyes, make a wish and blow on them. This is seen as a way to earn good luck. They are also used to send thoughts and wishes to your loved ones!
Dandelions are considered to be a sign of good luck as they belong to the planet Jupiter, which is the plant for wealth. So, if you see a glimpse of yellow in your lawn, that’s a good omen! You might be surprised to find out the magic that this little yellow flower carries.
Our list of dandelion sayings to help you make a wish is sure to leave you feeling warm and hopeful. We've rounded up dandelion wish quotes from books, films, and well-known personalities to inspire you.
Romantic Dandelion Quotes
Dandelions have a long-standing relationship with love and romance. There are many beliefs about blowing these fluffy puffballs for luck. Some believe that the seeds that remain after you blow them off determine whether your partner is also thinking about you (the higher the number of seeds, the stronger the connection between you). While others think that if all the seeds come off in one blow, it means that your love and commitment is strong. Dandelions often make for a very poetic expression of love. Here are a few romantic dandelion quotes for you and your loved one! Which one do you like the most?
1. “When love, that dandelion fluff, that always comes and goes with the first wind thread, will pass on to your door, then you will know you met me.”
- Octavian Paler.
2. “Last summer, I spent almost an hour blowing dandelions off their stems towards him, so that he had a chance to wish for everything he wanted.”
- Helen Oyeyemi, 'Mr. Fox'.
3. “I was as unburdened as a piece of dandelion fluff, and he was the wind that stirred me about the world.”
- Sarah J. Maas.
4. “She wrote, 'Dandelion, I love you.' And I thought that was magic. It's not in you, it's between you. It's bigger and stronger than you are.”
- Melvin Burgess.
Hopeful Dandelion Quotes
These soft yellow flowers give you a sense of hope, be it in terms of love or life in general. Be it with their symbolism or their presence in some surprising corners, dandelions are believed to turn around your luck and even represent fertility and abundance. These tiny flowers are sure to make your day better. So, here are some hopeful dandelion meaning quotes and dandelion poems to give you an idea of their importance. Pick a favorite!
5. “What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again.”
- Suzanne Collins.
6. “It gives one a sudden start in going down a barren, stoney street, to see upon a narrow strip of grass, just within the iron fence, the radiant dandelion, shining in the grass, like a spark dropped from the sun.”
- Henry Ward Beecher.
7. “But dandelions were what she chiefly saw. Yellow jewels for everyday studding the patched green dress of her back yard. She liked their demure prettiness second to their everydayness; for in that latter quality she thought she saw a picture of herself, and it was comforting to find that what was common could also be a flower.”
- Gwendolyn Brooks, 'Maud Martha'.
8. “The dandelion's pallid tube
Astonishes the grass,
And winter instantly becomes
An infinite alas.”
- Emily Dickinson.
9. “To this day, I can never shake the connection between this boy, Peeta Mellark, and the bread that gave me hope, and the dandelion that reminded me that I was not doomed.”
- Suzanne Collins.
Dandelion Quotes About Nature
Nature is beautiful, and dandelions, with their color and vitality, are just another piece of proof of this. From the freshness of their color to the sight of their seeds swaying in the wind, every part of a dandelion comes with a sense of peace. They teach us the beauty of creation, that even something like weeds, perceived as unwanted, can carry so much meaning. Here are a few quotes about dandelions to help you connect with nature. Have you started searching for tiny spots of yellow around you?
10. “The dandelions and buttercups gild all the lawn: the drowsy bee stumbles among the clover tops, and summer sweetens all to me.”
- James Russell Lowell.
11. “No creature is fully itself till it is, like the dandelion, opened in the bloom of pure relationship to the sun, the entire living cosmos.”
- D. H. Lawrence.
12. “If you find yourself worrying, go outside, take three breaths, address a tree and quietly say, 'Thank you.' If you can't find a tree, a dandelion will do... Nature is magic.”
- Robert Bateman.
13. “Go for a short walk in a soft rain – lovely – so many wild flowers startling me through the woods and a lawn sprinkled with dandelions, like a night with stars. And through it all the sound of soft rain like the sound of innumerable earthworms stirring in the ground.”
- Anne Morrow Lindbergh.
Philosophical Dandelion Quotes
As mentioned, dandelions are rich with symbolism and hidden meanings. So, it is no surprise that they provide deep insights into life and relationships sometimes. These philosophical quotes are examples of how dandelions teach us about life. Which one do you relate to?
14. “Cause-and-effect will not explain even the individuality of a single dandelion.”
- D.H. Lawrence.
15. “So much love, too much love, exploding us like dandelion polls.”
- John Updike.
16. “Organic as a dandelion seed, [the ship of our imagination] will carry us to worlds of dreams and worlds of facts.”
- Carl Sagan.
17. “Once an idea is out and about, it can’t be called back, silenced or erased. You can’t contain it, any more than you could put the head of a dandelion back together after the wind has scattered its seeds.”
- P.W. Catanese.
Examples Of Perseverance In Dandelion Quotes
Dandelions are one of the finest examples of perseverance. These quotes are sure to give you some inspiration. Pick your favorite!
18. “You fight dandelions all weekend, and late Monday afternoon there they are, pert as all get out, in full and gorgeous bloom, pretty as can be, thriving as only dandelions can in the face of adversity.”
- Hal Borland.
19. “Dandelions poke through sidewalks. We don't know enough to give up.”
- Elizabeth May.
20. “Some ideas, like dandelions in lawns, strike tenaciously.”
- Elizabeth Bowen.
Funny Dandelion Quotes
Many people (including Celia Thaxter) have brought out the beauty of dandelions with a sense of comedy. Tell us which dandelions quotes you liked the best.
21. “Sometimes I think we'd do better as dandelion seeds-no family, no history, just floating off into the world, each on our own piece of fluff.”
- Sophie Kinsella.
22. “The ability of dandelions to tell the time is somewhat exaggerated, owing to the fact that there is always one seed that refuses to be blown off; the time usually turns out to be 37 o’clock.”
- Miles Kington.
23. “Scandals are like dandelion seeds–they are arrow-headed, and stick where they fall.”
24. “Already the dandelions
Are changed into vanishing ghosts.”
- Celia Thaxter.
25. “Dandelions don't tell no lies.”
- Mick Jagger.
26. “Rhythm is best expressed in any swing directed at a cigar stump or a dandelion head.”
- Grantland Rice.
Gaining Perspective From Dandelion Quotes
Despite being weeds, dandelions offer so much to people. We hope that these quotes about gaining perspectives from dandelions will provide you with some clarity!
27. “Dandelions are just friendly little weeds who only want to be loved like flowers.”
- Heather Babcock.
28. “Nobody loves the head of a dandelion.”
- Toni Morrison.
29. “Whether a dandelion is a weed or a flower is entirely a matter of perspective.”
- Julia Tagliere.
30. “Dandelions, like all things in nature, are beautiful when you take the time to pay attention to them.”
- June Stoyer.
Feel Good Dandelion Quotes
Dandelions exude warmth and are bound to make you feel good even on a bad day. You cannot help but smile having made a wish by blowing away dandelions. These feel-good dandelion quotes, including quotes from Sandra Cisneros and Liberty Hyde Bailey, will give you a taste of that experience!
31. “Some people need flowers, some people need dandelions. It's medicine, it's what you need at that time in your life.”
- Sandra Cisneros.
32. “I have lost my smile, but don't worry. The dandelion has it.”
- Nhat Hanh.
33. “Most of the dandelions had changed from suns to moons.”
- Vladimir Nabokov.
34. "The man who worries morning and night about the dandelions in the lawn will find great relief in loving the dandelions."
- Liberty Hyde Bailey.
Delicate Dandelion Quotes
Dandelions provide the perfect balance of strength and delicateness. We hope these delicate dandelion quotes make you feel light!
35. “She spotted a lone dandelion, and it crossed her mind that a younger Luce would have pounced on it and then made a wish and blown it. But this Luce's wishes felt too heavy for something so light.”
- Lauren Kate.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you like our suggestions for dandelion quotes, then why not take a look at these [nature quotes] or [daisy quotes] too?
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.