Recent searches (0)
Pride is defined as a feeling of worthiness and, interestingly, it can be both detrimental and beneficial to an individual's personality.
Generally, it is good to be proud of yourself, as having pride in yourself will boost your self-esteem and self-worth, and perhaps even motivate you to achieve your goals. However, too much pride can be negative, remember the famous saying: "pride always comes before a fall"?
Most pride is positive though, such as the pride that parents feel when their child graduates from college! So, let's celebrate ourselves and embrace being proud with this list of the best pride quotes that define this quality in the best possible way.
This list of sayings and quotes about being proud will give you an idea of how detrimental unchecked pride can be and how important it is to take pride in what you do.
1. "Some people would rather die in their pride, than live in their humility."
2. "Pride must die in you, or nothing of heaven can live in you."
3. "Pride costs us more than hunger, thirst, and cold."
4. "The proud person always wants to do the right thing, the great thing. But because he wants to do it in his own strength, he is fighting not with man, but with God."
5. "Pride builds walls between people, humility builds bridges."
6. "Britain has a great sense of its own national pride. It's like the monarchy is the embodiment of that pride."
7. "I take some pride in... representing myself exactly how I would like to have my son remember me to his kids."
-Robert Downey, Jr.
8. "Through pride we are ever deceiving ourselves."
9. "Pride and excess bring disaster for man."
10. "I take pride in saying that I am an army officer's daughter even more than being an actor."
11. "Pride comes before the fall."
12. "I think pride is more important sometimes than making money."
13. "Humility was considered a great virtue in my family household. No show of complacency or self-satisfaction was ever tolerated. Patting yourself on the back was definitely not encouraged, and pleasure or pride would be punishable by death."
14. "I pride myself on being a family man. I pride myself on being respectful and hardworking."
15. "The fastest way to get me to go out and do something is to tell me no way I can do it."
Here's a list of some of the best quotes on pride from famous books and novels, including some famous 'Pride And Prejudice' quotes. These books often discuss a time when pride still mattered.
16. "Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us."
-Jane Austen, 'Pride and Prejudice'.
17. "And not only the pride of intellect, but the stupidity of intellect."
-Leo Tolstoy, 'Anna Karenina'.
18. "When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but with creatures bristling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity."
-Dale Carnegie, 'How To Win Friends And Influence People'.
19. "The tyrant is a child of Pride, who drinks from his sickening cup recklessness and vanity, until from his high crest headlong he plummets to the dust of hope."
-Sophocles, 'Oedipus Rex'.
20. "Fear and realisation of ignorance, strong medicines against stupid pride."
-Garth Nix, 'Sabriel'.
21. "The hated man is the result of his hater's pride rather than his hater's conscience.”
-Criss Jami, 'Diotima, Battery, Electric Personality'.
22. "Pride helps us; and pride is not a bad thing when it only urges us to hide our own hurts—not to hurt others."
-George Eliot, 'Middlemarch'.
23. "The proud wish God would agree with them. They are not interested in changing their opinions to agree with God's."
-Ezra Taft Benson.
24. "For thirty minutes I sat back and felt the glimmer of pride that historically precedes the most catastrophic falls."
-Antony John, 'Five Flavors Of Dumb'.
25. "Love hath no pride."
-Karen Marie Moning, 'Kiss Of The Highlander'.
26. "Many religious people suffer from pride: taking pleasure or even delight in being good, or religious."
-Idries Shah, 'Sufi Thought And Action'.
27. "I am not proud, but I am happy; and happiness blinds, I think, more than pride."
-Alexandre Dumas, 'The Count Of Monte Cristo'.
28. "Rowan considered for a moment, and then said, 'I have known many kings in my life, Dorian Havilliard. And it was a rare man indeed who asked for help when he needed it, who would put aside pride.'"
-Sarah J. Maas, 'Empire Of Storms'.
29. "There had been an attempt to humiliate him. It had not succeeded. He had paid, but pain, like pleasure, has no duration. Pride was an entity more persistent."
-Jack Vance, 'The Palace Of Love'.
30. "Take pride away from a man and you might as well run a knife through his heart."
-Julie Garwood, 'Mercy'.
Fame is often followed by a sense of pride. Here is a list of pride sayings by famous people who had a lot to say about this quality.
31. "I've always been someone who believes in being real and embraced my imperfections with pride rather than covering it up."
32. "Pride will spit in pride's face."
33. "I always take pride in the fact that nobody can mess with me, and I never let anybody mess with me my entire life."
34. "The greatest pride, or the greatest despondency, is the greatest ignorance of one's self."
35. "It's a fine thing to rise above pride, but you must have pride in order to do so."
36. "It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels."
-Augustine of Hippo.
37. "I pride myself on being a good friend, and all my friends can attest to that."
38. "Pride. You have it where you can have it."
― Marilyn French.
39. "Pride is pleasure arising from a man's thinking too highly of himself."
40. "Poor nations are hungry, and rich nations are proud; and pride and hunger will ever be at variance."
41. "She laughed and said not to confuse pride with nobleness."
-Brom, 'Krampus: The Yule Lord'.
42. "I guess I take a lot of pride in that no matter what type of car we drive, we're always competitive in it. That's something I've taken a lot of pride in my whole life."
43. "Nothing is more scandalous than a man that is proud of his humility."
44. "A proud man hath no God, for he hath put God down and set himself up."
45. "I just believe that young people need to be able to learn how to write in their own voice. Just like a musician, you pride yourself on having your own distinct sound."
Here is a list of some beautiful pride quotes that will help you stay grounded.
46. "Behind every argument lies someone's ignorance."
-Louis D. Brandeis.
47. "In general, pride is at the bottom of all great mistakes."
48. "Proud people breed sad sorrows for themselves. But if you be afraid of your touchiness, you must ask pardon, mind, when she comes in."
49. "A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something that is above you."
-C. S. Lewis.
50. "I find I am much prouder of the victory I obtain over myself, when, in the very ardor of dispute, I make myself submit to my adversary’s force of reason, than I am pleased with the victory I obtain over him through his weakness."
-Michel de Montaigne.
51. "Humility is nothing but truth, and pride is nothing but lying."
-St. Vincent de Paul.
52. "Most of the trouble in the world is caused by people wanting to be important."
-T. S. Eliot.
53. "Leave your pride, ego, and narcissism somewhere else. Reactions from those parts of you will reinforce your children's most primitive fears."
-Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend.
54. "Our pride will lead us to perish, but our politeness keeps us alive."
-Sipho P. Nkosi.
55. "The spirit of arrogance most definitely makes you shine. It paints a bright red target on your own forehead."
56. "Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source. True humility is the only antidote to shame."
57. "... the essence of gospel-humility is not thinking more of myself or thinking less of myself, it is thinking of myself less."
58. "The rich swell up with pride, the poor from hunger."
59. "Sometimes I think that you have to swallow your pride a little bit and know when you are done."
60. "Pride is an admission of weakness; it secretly fears all competition and dreads all rivals."
-Fulton J. Sheen.
61. "Pride is an independent, me-oriented spirit. It makes people arrogant, rude and hard to get along with. When our heart is prideful, we don't give God the credit and we mistreat people, looking down on them and thinking we deserve what we have."
62. "Pride gets no pleasure out of having something, only out of having more of it than the next man... It is the comparison that makes you proud: the pleasure of being above the rest."
― C. S. Lewis.
63. "All men make mistakes, but a good man yields when he knows his course is wrong, and repairs the evil. The only crime is pride."
At Kidadl, we have created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked these pride quotes, why not check out these [proverbs quotes] or purpose driven life quotes too?
Read The Disclaimer
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.