Get inspiration for parents!
Subscribe for parenting tips, family money advice, baby names and more
Self-respect coupled with self-appreciation, helps to build a progressively self-reliant community.
Self-respect is essential for everybody to develop and possess as it helps to enhance one’s personality, boost their self confidence, and prosper. The quality of respecting others and the self must be imbibed with time.
Respect does not necessarily mean respecting a girl or boy, man or woman. Respect is for all. The presence of self-respect not only enhances the positive traits of an individual but also aids in overcoming negative qualities like ego, pride and disrespect, ultimately uplifting the overall personality. Values like respect, discipline and truthfulness have been inculcated in our minds since childhood. We have always been encouraged and taught to respect our elders, family, and friends. Nevertheless, self-respect is absolutely indispensable where the personal self needs to be esteemed. Considerations like discipline, love for the self, trust, respect, faith, esteem, and others help to build up a community of self-reliant individuals.
If you feel inspired with these self-respect quotes then also take a look at [self-awareness quotes] and [focus on yourself quotes].
Quotes On Self-Respect And Dignity
Here are some quotations about self-respect, self-esteem and quotes on self-respect in relationships that show us how to treat our personal selves.
1. “There is nothing noble about being superior to some other man...true nobility is in being superior to your previous self.”
– Hindu Proverb.
2. “Once you embrace your value, it neutralizes when others think less of you.”
– Rob Liano.
3. “‘If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything’? Talking nicely also applies when you’re talking to yourself.”
– Victoria Moran.
4. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”
– Eleanor Roosevelt.
5. “Accomplishments don’t erase shame, hatred, cruelty... It covers it up, with a creative version of pride and ego. Only restitution, forgiving yourself and others, compassion, repentance and living with dignity will ever erase the past.”
– Shannon L. Alder.
6. “Our self-respect tracks our choices.”
– Dan Coppersmith.
7. “Tonight...I'll be alive
and ain't that worth the party?”
― Yesika Salgado, 'Corazón'.
8. “Self-worth is only determined by you and if you don't thing you worth it, that's going to ruin everything .”
9. “Self-pity gets you nowhere.”
– Harry Emerson Fosdick.
10. “One's dignity may be assaulted...cruelly mocked, but it can never be taken away unless it is surrendered.”
– Michael J. Fox.
11. “There are days I drop words of comfort on myself and remember that it is enough to be taken care of by myself.”
– Brian Andreas.
12. “Your peers will respect you for your integrity and character, not your possessions.”
– David Robinson.
13. “If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.”
― Jack Kornfield, 'Buddha's Little Instruction Book'.
14. “I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others.”
– Frederick Douglass.
15. “Low self-esteem is like driving with your hand-break on.”
– Maxwell Maltz.
16. “The choices that you have made have been because of what you believe to be true for yourselves.”
– Oprah Winfrey.
17. “Don’t rely on someone else for your self-worth. Accept who you are, not because you think someone else wants you to be different.”
– Stacey Charter.
18. “Because one believes in oneself, one doesn't try to convince others. Because one is content with oneself, one doesn't need others' approval. Because one accepts oneself, the whole world accepts him or her.”
19. “Stay out of your own way”
– Whoopi Goldberg.
20. “Life is just about believing in yourself, in your dreams. You are the dream.
- Keke Pamler.
21. “Self-respect is the root of discipline: The sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself.”
― Abraham Joshua Heschel.
22. “Self-belief is not self-centred. We can only fight effectively for others if we already believe in ourselves.”
– Carla H. Krueger.
23. “The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself.”
– Rita Mae Brown.
24. “I want to be the best version of myself for anyone who is going to someday walk into my life and need someone to love them beyond reason.”
― Jennifer Elisabeth, 'Born Ready'.
25. “Not being yourself is the worst form of self-disrespect.”
― Mokokoma Mokhonoana.
Self-respect roots from the sense of personal love and these self-respect quotes set for us the perfect examples.
26. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line.”
- Lucille Ball.
27. “To establish true self-esteem we must concentrate on our successes and forget about the negatives in our lives.”
– Denis Waitley.
28. “I had to grow to love my body. I did not have a good self-image at first, I chose to love myself.”
– Queen Latifah.
29. “A person learns how to love himself through the simple acts of loving and being loved by someone else.”
– Haruki Murakami.
30. “You yourself, deserve your love and affection.”
31. "If you don’t love yourself, nobody will, you won’t be good at loving anyone else.”
– Wayne Dyer.
32. “If you aren't good at loving yourself, you will have a difficult time loving anyone, since you’ll resent the time and energy you give another person that you aren't even giving to yourself.”
– Barbara De Angelis.
33. “When we fulfill our function, which is to truly love ourselves, then true happiness sets in.”
– Gabrielle Bernstein.
34. “Self-love is an ocean and your heart is a vessel. Make it full.”
– Beau Taplin.
35. “Love is the great miracle cure.”
– Louise Hay.
36. “No other love can fulfill one’s heart better than unconditional self-love.”
– Edmond Mbiaka.
37. “When you discover something that nourishes your soul, care enough about yourself to make room for it.”
- Jean Shinoda Bolen.
38. “You are responsible for your life.”
– Oprah Winfrey.
39. “Loving yourself comes from accepting who you really are.”
– Catriona Gray.
40. “Loving yourself isn’t vanity. It’s sanity.”
– Katrina Mayer.
41. “There is nothing that exists that is not part of you, that any judgment you make is self-judgment, you will wisely extend to yourself an unconditional love.”
– Harry Palmer.
42. “People who love themselves, don’t hurt other people. The more we hate ourselves, the more we want others to suffer.”
– Dan Pearce.
43. “If you're not comfortable within yourself, you can't be comfortable with others.”
– Sidney J. Harris.
44. “The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself.”
― Michel de Montaigne, 'The Complete Essays'.
45. “If you have the ability to love, love yourself first.”
– Charles Bukowski.
46. “Love yourself enough to set boundaries teach people how to treat you by deciding what you will and won’t accept.”
– Anna Taylor.
47. “A healthy self-love means we have no compulsion to justify to ourselves or others.”
– Andrew Matthews.
48. “It’s all about falling in love with yourself and sharing that love with someone who appreciates you.”
– Eartha Kitt.
49. “Self-care is never a selfish act—it is the gift I was put on earth to offer to others.”
– Parker Palmer.
50. “To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance”
– Oscar Wilde.
Inspirational Confidence Quotes
A simple word of appreciation boosts one's confidence level. Read through some of these self-respect quotes that everybody finds motivating.
51. “Never bend your head. Look the world straight in the face.”
– Helen Keller.
52. "As I began to love myself I understood that I am in the right place at the right time. I call it 'self-confidence'."
― Charlie Chaplin.
53. “The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own.”
– Bob Moawad.
54. “For if you train hard your confidence surges to a maximum.”
– Floyd Patterson.
55. “Confidence is a muscle that we choose to use every single day.”
– Catriona Gray.
56. “Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.”
– Thomas Jefferson.
57. “Before anyone else has criticized me, I have already criticized myself. I accept all the great things about me.”
― C. JoyBell C.
58. “I count him braver who overcomes his desires, for the hardest victory is over self.”
59. “It took me time not to judge myself through someone else's eyes.”
– Sally Field.
60. “If you are insecure, the rest of the world is too. You are better than you think.”
– T. Harv Eker.
61. “She does not dare to be herself.”
– Anais Nin.
62. “The only discipline that lasts is self-discipline.”
– Bum Philip.
63. "You stand strong and journey through your day without attachment to the validation of others.”
― Steve Maraboli, 'Life, the Truth, And Being Free'.
64. “I never had confidence. The hardest thing to know is your own worth, and it took me years.”
– Peggy Lipton.
Famous Self-Respect Quotes To Inspire You
Here are some famous self-respect quotes that would motivate you to love and respect yourself.
65. “When a woman becomes her own best friend life is easier.”
― Diane Von Furstenberg.
66. “It’s alright letting yourself go, as long as you can get yourself back.”
– Mick Jagger.
67. “The most beautiful people are those who have known defeat and loss, and have found their way out. These persons have an understanding of life. Beautiful people do not just happen.”
– Elizabeth Kubler-Ross.
68. "Experience tells you what to do; confidence allows you to do it."
69. “The biggest reason people aren't more self-compassionate is that they are afraid they’ll become self-indulgent. They believe self-criticism is what keeps them in line. Most people have gotten it wrong because our culture says being hard on yourself is the way to be.”
– Kristen Neff.
70. “Self-control is strength, calmness is power.”
- James Allen.
71. "What’s important to me is not others’ opinions of me, but what’s important to me is my opinion of myself.”
– C. Joybell C.
72. "The most beautiful thing you can wear is confidence."
- Blake Lively.
73. “People who love themselves come across as very loving, they express their self-confidence through humility and forgiveness.”
― Sanaya Roman, 'Living with Joy'.
74. “Own every aspect of who you are and present it to the world with the utmost pride.”
― Connor Franta, 'A Work In Progress'.
75. “Confidence is contagious.”
– Vince Lombardi.
Best Self-Respect Quotes
These self-respect quotes from a page of celebrated artists tell real stories that inspire us to value our self-worth.
76. “The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself.”
– Mark Twain.
77. “People may flatter themselves...they believe that the world is always contemplating their individual charms and virtues.”
– Elizabeth Gaskell.
78. “Self-acceptance is pure power.”
― Amy Leigh Mercree, 'The Spiritual Girl's Guide To Dating'.
79. “I don't want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did.”
– Henry James.
80. “Lighten up. No one is perfect.”
– Deborah Day.
81. “A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.”
– Mark Twain.
82. “The moment you are old enough to take the wheel, responsibility lies with you.”
― J.K. Rowling.
83. “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson.
84. “The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely.”
– Carl Gustav Jung.
85. “Be faithful to that which exists within yourself.”
– André Gide.
86. “No one can perceive a sense of his own worth until it has been reflected back to him in the mirror of another loving, caring human being.”
– John Joseph Powell.
87. “My best friend brings out the best in me.”
– Henry Ford.
88. “By not accepting personal responsibility for our circumstances, we greatly reduce our power to change them.”
― Steve Maraboli, 'Unapologetically You'.
89. “If you learn to really sit with loneliness and embrace it for the gift that it is, you will realize that a little loneliness goes a long way in creating a more vibrant you.”
― Mandy Hale, 'The Single Woman'.
90. “The most powerful relationship you will ever have is the relationship with yourself.”
― Steve Maraboli, 'Life, The Truth, And Being Free'.
91. "Respect has to do with allowing space for someone else's opinion."
- Jackie Viramontez.
92. “As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
– Marianne Williamson.
93. “Until you value yourself, you won't value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it. ”
- M. Scott Peck.
94. “If you do not respect your own wishes, no one else will. You will simply attract people who disrespect you as much as you do.”
― Vironika Tugaleva.
95. “That's what I grew up with. I didn't aspire to be anything besides that.”
96. “The final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands.”
― Anne Frank.
97. “I was transformed the day
My ego shattered.”
― Suzy Kassem, 'Rise Up And Salute The Sun'.
98. “Do not consider painful what is good for you.”
99. “No tree tries to become a certain kind of tree. Commit to nourishing yourself, you will bloom into whatever kind of person you are.”
― Vironika Tugaleva, 'The Art Of Talking To Yourself'.
100. “Respect your efforts, respect yourself. Self-respect leads to self-discipline. That’s real power.”
– Clint Eastwood.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for self-respect quotes then why not take a look at be true to yourself quotes and find yourself quotes.
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.