Get inspiration for education!
Subscribe for virtual tools, STEM-inspired play, creative tips and more
'The Fault In Our Stars' is a 2012 novel by author John Green that was made into a movie in 2014.
The novel's name comes from Shakespeare's famous quote, "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, for we are underlings," in 'Julius Caesar'. Through the title of his book, John Green conveys the message that despite the imperfections of our destiny, we can thrive and lead a happy and fulfilling life.
The story of 'The Fault In Our Stars' is about two teenagers Hazel and Gus, who have cancer and have numbered days left to live. They meet in a support group and strike a bond, which, through subsequent events, transforms into mutual love and affection for each other. Fate, however, would want something else for them when Gus's health deteriorates due to cancer. He dies soon after leaving a heartbroken Hazel, who realizes that even though they had limited time with each other, Gus gave her a "forever within the numbered days." The John Green book ends with Gus's heartfelt letter, where he acknowledges how lucky he was to love Hazel and that he likes his choice. He hopes that Hazel likes her choice too, to which she says "I do." One can tell how sweet the book is by reading these quotes.
If you like reading 'The Fault In Our Stars' quotes, then check out our The Perks Of Being A Wallflower quotes and ['The Book Thief' quotes].
Memorable 'The Fault In Our Stars' Book Quotes
Here's a great list of some of the best and unforgettable John Green quotes from 'The Fault In Our Stars' that you can always cherish.
1. "You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you."
-Gus, chapter 25.
2. "...I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have..."
-Augustus, chapter 10.
3. "I'd always thought the world was a wish-granting factory."
-Augustus, chapter seven.
4. "Some infinities are bigger than other infinities."
-Narrator, chapter 15.
5. "But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world."
-Hazel, chapter 20.
6. "I'm on a roller coaster that only goes up. And it is my privilege and my responsibility to ride all the way up with you."
-Augustus, chapter 13.
7. "If you don't live a life in service of a greater good, you've gotta at least die a death in service of a greater good, you know?"
-Augustus, chapter 11.
8. "I enjoy looking at beautiful people, and I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence."
-Augustus, chapter one.
9. "You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful."
-Hazel, chapter 20.
10. "I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things."
-Augustus, chapter 10.
11. "Oh, I wouldn't mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you."
-Augustus, chapter 11.
12. "Maybe okay will be our' always.'"
-Augustus, chapter five.
Augustus Waters Quotes From 'The Fault In Our Stars'
Gus taught us that in spite of the shortcomings of our fates, we can always make the best of the moments we have left to live, after passing of cancer. These quotes here show how full of life he was.
13. "Observation: It would be awesome to fly in a super fast airplane that could chase the sunrise around the world for a while."
14. "And I fear that I won't get either a life or a death that means anything."
15. "Sure, I fear earthly oblivion. But, I mean, not to sound like my parents, but I believe humans have souls, and I believe in the conservation of souls."
16. "I used to think that it would be fun to live in a cloud."
17. "The marks humans leave are too often scars. You build a hideous minimal or start a coup or try to become a rock star and you think, 'They'll remember me now,' but (a) they don't remember you, and (b) all you leave behind are more scars."
18. "The real heroes anyway aren't the people doing things; the real heroes are the people noticing things, paying attention."
19. "I love her. I am so lucky to love her, Van Houten."
20. "I'll fight it, I'll fight it for you. Don't you worry about me, Hazel Grace, I'm okay. I'll find a way to hang around and annoy you for a long time."
Hazel Quotes From 'The Fault In Our Stars'
Hazel Grace's quotes from 'The Fault In Our Stars' will always remain close to our hearts for the sheer honesty of her words.
21. "Ours was an epic love story, and I won't be able to get more than a sentence into it without disappearing into a puddle of tears."
22. "Augustus Waters was the great star-crossed love of my life."
23. "And then there are books like 'An Imperial Affliction', which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal."
24. "Peter Van Houten was the only person I'd ever come across who seemed to (a) understand what it's like to be dying, and (b) not have died."
25. "Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book."
26. "I've always liked people with two names, because you get to make up your mind what you call them: Gus or Augustus?"
27. "I liked that he was a tenured professor in the Department of Slightly Crooked Smiles with a dual appointment in the Department of Having a Voice That Made My Skin Feel More Like Skin."
28. "As he read, I fell in love with the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once."
Isaac Quotes From 'The Fault In Our Stars'
Here are some of the best quotes from Isaac, without whom the story would have seemed incomplete.
29. "Not to complain or anything because I know a lot of us have it worse, but yeah, I mean, being blind does sort of suck."
30. "I dislike living in a world without Augustus Waters."
31. "Thank you for explaining that my eye cancer isn't going to make me deaf. I feel so fortunate that an intellectual giant like yourself would deign to operate on me."
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for 'The Fault In Our Stars' quotes then why not take a look at ['The Notebook' quotes], or ['All The Bright Places' quotes].
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.