Get inspiration for education!
Subscribe for virtual tools, STEM-inspired play, creative tips and more
A Marathon is a race of approximately 26 miles or 42 km.
Funny marathon quotes and half marathon quotes are definitely the push we need to finish our personal races. If you are missing that extra boost of energy and motivation to cross the finish line, our list of pumped-up quotes will help you.
Inspiring Marathon Running Quotes
Motivational quotes and marathon running quotes are a must-have when preparing to go the distance. So whether you are one of the long-time runners or just joined the race, these motivational quotes on running and these marathon quotes will definitely inspire you to achieve your athletic goals.
1. "I dare you to train for a marathon, and not have it change your life."
2. "Every marathon I ran, I knew I had a faster one in me."
3. "Of all the races, there is no better stage for heroism than a marathon."
4. "Ask yourself: ‘Can I give more?’ The answer is usually: ‘Yes’.”
– Paul Tergat
5. "I would love for everybody in this country to run one marathon a year."
- Gary Muhrcke
6. “When you run the marathon, you run against the distance, not against the other runners and not against the time.”
7. "It is difficult to train for a marathon, but it is even more difficult to not be able to train for a marathon."
-Aaron Douglas Trimble
8. “Winning has nothing to do with racing. Most days don’t have races anyway. Winning is about struggle and effort and optimism, and never, ever, ever giving up.”
– Amby Burfoot
9. "Marathoning. The triumph of desire over reason."
10. “The marathon is an opportunity for redemption. Opportunity, because the outcome is uncertain. Opportunity, because it is up to you, and only you, to make it happen."
11. "You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week, or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime."
- Mark Allen
Marathon Training Quotes
Below you can find some of the best marathon running quotes. Wondering how to run a marathon, or why even to run one in the first place? These quotes have the perfect answer for you. With veteran runners like George Sheehan and Usain Bolt featuring on the list, motivational running will become a piece of cake for you. Read on to know how.
12. "You're running on guts. On fumes. Your muscles twitch. You throw up. You're delirious. But you keep running because there's no way out of this hell you're in because there's no way you're not crossing the finish line. It's a misery that non-runners don't understand."
13. "Learn to run when feeling the pain: then push harder."
14. “You should run your first marathon for the right reasons because you’ll never be the same person again. You must want to do it, not do it because your boss did it or your spouse did it.”
15. "Aiming for the marathon is a task of sorts which can include terrific highs and lows."
16. “Only after a marathon can I say I have given everything. Because of the enormity of the attempt, the cleansing of the pain, I can sit, even stiff and blistered, and know a kind of peace. “
17. “In the first half of the race, don’t be an idiot. In the second half, don’t be a wimp!”
18. “At mile 20, I thought I was dead. At mile 22, I wished I was dead. At mile 24, I knew I was dead. At mile 26.2, I realized I had become too tough to kill.”
19. "You have to forget your last marathon before you try another. Your mind can't know what's coming."
20. “The key to running a good marathon is to not listen to anyone’s advice the last week before the race. That’s when people tend to do stupid things that disrupt all the input and training of the previous months.”
Best Quotes About Running A Marathon
The best thing about running a marathon is the sense of victory and achievement. Or at least, that is what some of the most famous marathon quotes have to say about running. So whether you are looking at these marathon quotes to push yourself or a loved one, you are bound to find inspiration here!
21. “Everything you wanted to know about yourself you can learn in 26.2 miles.”
22. "The marathon is not really about the marathon, it's about the shared struggle. And it's not only the marathon but the training."
23. “My goal has always been to slow down as slowly as possible. It’s as simple as that.”
24. "There is a moment in every race. A moment where you can either quit, fold or say to yourself, 'I can do this.'"
25. “If you are losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon.”
26. “There are no shortcuts in marathoning, so anyone who is a marathoner has worked hard.”
27. "No marathon gets easier later. The halfway point only marks the end of the beginning."
28 "All you need is the courage to believe in yourself and put one foot in front of the other.”
29. "The marathon never ceases to be a race of joy, a race of wonder."
30. “To finish will leave you feeling like a champion and positively change your life.”
31. "Toeing the starting line of a marathon, regardless of the language you speak, the God you worship or the color of your skin, we all stand as equal. Perhaps the world would be a better place if more people ran."
32. “Motivation remains key to the marathon: the motivation to begin; the motivation to continue; the motivation never to quit.”
33. "Like the marathon, life can sometimes be difficult, challenging, and present obstacles, however, if you believe in your dreams and never ever give up, things will turn out for the best."
34. “That day remains very special to me and if I had one day to live over in my lifetime, it would be my first marathon.”
35. “There will be days you don’t think you can run a marathon. There will be a lifetime of knowing you have.”
*Do you know where this quote originated? Please email us to let us know at [email protected]
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for Marathon quotes then why not take a look at [Cross Country quotes], or Steve Prefontaine quotes.
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.