Get inspiration for education!
Subscribe for virtual tools, STEM-inspired play, creative tips and more
Human emotion is defined as a feeling of complexity that results in physical and psychological changes that influence our thought and behavior.
Emotion is a feeling that you experience, but you can also communicate it, in speech or writing. Sentiments are the emotions that are communicated.
The human experience is often characterized by changes in our emotions and the way we express these emotions through our actions and words. It facilitates adaptive responses to the changes in our environment and helps us communicate what's important to us, such as love, values, and ethics.
Love is one of the most universal emotions. Love has many different forms and is often associated with positive emotions such as joy and happiness. Love can also be concern and feelings of care for another person for their sake rather than your own or bestowal of value on the beloved. Every culture has different ways to express feelings of love in the form of unique art, music, and literature. Sentimental quotes can do this too, including sentimental dog quotes.
Sentimental Life Quotes
Here are some of the best sentimental quotes that are deep and thought-provoking.
1. “Time changes everything except something within us which is always surprised by change.”
― Thomas Hardy.
2. “You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
― Christopher Columbus.
3. “Fortune does favor the bold, and I promise that you will never know what you’re capable of unless you try.”
— Sheryl Sandberg.
4. “I have learned that there is more power in a good strong hug than in a thousand meaningful words.”
― Ann Hood.
5. “Don't hold to anger, hurt or pain. They steal your energy and keep you from love.”
― Leo Buscaglia.
6. “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
— Mark Twain.
7. “Either you run the day, or the day runs you.”
― Jim Rohn.
8. “You grow up the day you have your first real laugh at yourself.”
― Ethel Barrymore.
9. “Life has meaning only if one barters it day by day for something other than itself.”
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
10. “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give: He believed in me.”
― Jim Valvano.
11. “A woman whose smile is open and whose expression is glad has a kind of beauty no matter what she wears.”
― Anne Roiphe.
12. “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”
― Maya Angelou.
13. “There is no script. Live your life. Soak it all in.”
― Dick Costolo.
14. “People cry, not because they're weak. It's because they've been strong for too long.”
― Johnny Depp.
15. “Behind every beautiful thing, there's some kind of pain.”
― Bob Dylan.
16. “Sometimes you need to run away just to see who will come after you.”
― Lisa Page Brooks.
17. “Tears are words that need to be written.”
― Paulo Coelho.
18. “Music has always been a matter of Energy to me, a question of Fuel. Sentimental people call it Inspiration, but what they really mean is Fuel.”
―Hunter S. Thompson.
19. “Social topics may hit too close to home for people, but then again, if you pull a heartstring, then that's what country music is.”
― Kenny Chesney.
20. “Close your eyes, take your time and listen. What does your heart say?”
― Maxime Lagacé.
21. “One’s own happiness oblivious to the feelings and aspirations of all others who surround us as members of the same human family. The wiser course is to think of others when pursuing your own happiness.”
― Dalai Lama.
22. “…just because we feel a certain way doesn’t make that feeling a fact. It only means that we feel that way. We must learn to press past our feelings.”
― Joyce Meyer.
23. “Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once.”
― Lillian Dickson.
24. “We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right.”
― Nelson Mandela.
25. “Be beautiful if you can, wise if you want to, but be respected – that is essential.”
― Anna Gould.
26. “Laughing together is as close as you can get to a hug without touching.”
― Gina Barreca.
27. “In order to be happy oneself, it is necessary to make at least one other person happy.”
― Theodor Reik.
28. “Old times, that greatest and longest established spinner of all!…. his factory is a secret place, his work is noiseless, and his hands are mutes.”
― Charles Dickens.
Sentimental Love Quotes
Great sentimental quotes for him or for her that are romantic and wholesome!
29. “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
― Lao Tzu.
30. “One day you will kiss a man you can’t breathe without, and find that breath is of little consequence.”
― Karen Marie Moning, ‘Bloodfever’.
31. “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.”
— Robert A. Heinlein.
32. “Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get–only with what you are expecting to give–which is everything.”
― Katharine Hepburn.
33. “Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.”
34. “For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.”
― Judy Garland.
35. “Love is when he gives you a piece of your soul, that you never knew was missing.”
36. “We must love one another or die.”
―W. H. Auden.
37. “Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.”
38. “A kiss makes the heart young again and wipes out the years.”
― Rupert Brooke.
39. “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.”
― A. A. Milne.
40. “The love that lasts the longest is the love that is never returned.”
― William Somerset Maugham.
41. “Love is a friendship set to music.”
— Joseph Campbell.
42. “I don’t agree that when you love, you are blind or fool. You just get wiser and see clearer what is best and of worth.”
― Hark Herald Sarmiento.
43. “Better to have lost and loved than never to have loved at all.”
— Ernest Hemingway.
44. “Love is our true destiny. We do not find meaning of life by ourselves alone – we find it with another.”
― Thomas Merton.
45. “Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.”
— James Baldwin.
46. “I love everything that’s old—old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wine.”
― Oliver Goldsmith.
47. “The sweetest of all sounds is that of the voice of the woman we love.”
― Jean de la Bruyere.
48. “Love will find a way through paths where wolves fear to prey.”
— Lord Byron.
49. “There is nothing so mortifying as to fall in love with someone who does not share one's sentiments.”
— Georgette Heyer, ‘Venetia’.
50. “I love that feeling of being in love, the effect of having butterflies when you wake up in the morning. That is special.”
― Jennifer Aniston.
51. “The opposite of love isn't hate. It isn't even indifference. It's fear.”
— Wilhelm Stekel.
52. “We love because it’s the only true adventure.”
— Nikki Giovanni.
53. “It is sad not to love, but it is much sadder not to be able to love.”
― Miguel de Unamuno.
54. “Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart.”
― Washington Irving.
55. “Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.”
― William Shakespeare.
56. “If I had a flower for every time I thought of you… I could walk through my garden forever.”
— Alfred Tennyson.
57. “If you love something let it go free. If it doesn’t come back, you never had it. If it comes back, love it forever.”
― Douglas Horton.
58. “Love is something sent from heaven to worry the hell out of you.”
— Dolly Parton.
59. “I'm not sentimental--I'm as romantic as you are. The idea, you know, is that the sentimental person thinks things will last.”
— F. Scott Fitzgerald, ‘This Side of Paradise’.
Sentimental Friendship Quotes
Great sentimental quotes that show the importance of real friendship.
60. “A true friend is someone who is there for you when he’d rather be anywhere else.”
― Len Wein.
61. “My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.”
― Jack Layton.
62. “There is no charm equal to tenderness of the heart.”
63. “Friendship is the golden thread that ties the heart of all the world.”
― John Evelyn.
64. “Plunderous is the palate I gift to you, openly I hug the universe of our friendship expanding its outer limit.”
― Bradley Chicho.
65. “Things are never quite as scary when you’ve got a best friend.”
― Bill Watterson.
66. “A true friend never gets in your way unless you happen to be going down.”
― Arnold H. Glasgow.
67. “I have learned that there is more power in a good strong hug than in a thousand meaningful words.”
― Ann Hood.
68. “Friends…they cherish one another’s hopes. They are kind to one another’s dream.”
― Henry David Thoreau.
69. “I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.”
― Frances Farmer.
70. “Being a good friend doesn’t mean you always have all the right words to say. Sometimes it means you just know when to be a good listener.”
― Katrina Mayer.
71. “Sometimes all you can do is hug a friend tightly and wish that their pain could be transferred by touch to your own emotional hard drive.”
― Richelle E. Goodrich.
72. “Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together.”
― Woodrow T. Wilson.
Sentimental And Motivational Quotes
Sentimental quotes that are also motivational and inspirational quotes!
73. “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.”
― Robert Frost.
74. “It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.”
― Andre Gide.
75. “Live each day as if your life had just begun.”
― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
76. “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.”
― Robert Louis Stevenson.
77. “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.”
― Kahlil Gibran.
78. “The best way out is always through.”
― Robert Frost.
79. “You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness.”
― Jonathan Safran Foer.
80. “Close some doors today. Not because of pride, incapacity or arrogance, but simply because they lead you nowhere.”
― Paulo Coelho.
81. “The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart.”
― Helen Keller.
82. “Many of life’s failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”
― Thomas Edison.
83. “Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.”
― Jack London.
84. “The better you feel about yourself, the less you feel the need to show off.”
― Robert Hand.
85. “Life is too short to be little. You must enlarge your imagination and then act on it.”
― Benjamin Disraeli.
86. “Life is short, and truth works far and lives long: let us then speak the truth.”
― Arthur Schopenhauer.
87. “Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”
88. “When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.”
― Helen Keller.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for sentimental quotes then why not take a look at [seasons of life quotes], or thoughtful quotes.
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.