Recent searches (0)
'The Crucible' is a great play that has a semi-fictional background on the subject of witchcraft.
The play is all about the Salem Witch Trials that took place between February 1692 and May 1693. The main message of 'The Crucible' is about mob mentality.
The play shows how this mob mentality leads to unethical and illogical actions, as in the play, these actions lead to the persecution of innocent people. The main characters Reverend Parris, Reverend Hale, Judge Thomas Danforth, John Proctor, Elizabeth Proctor, Abigail Williams, Giles Corey and Mary Warren.
If you want to know more about 'The Crucible', check out these 'The Crucible' quotes with explanations, then also have a look at these Abigail Williams quotes and 'The Scarlet Letter' quotes. Quoting 'The Crucible' is easy, just take a look at the below, with the act number and page number included!
Quotes in 'The Crucible' are based on various themes, but three of the main themes of the book are love, fear and witchcraft. There are so many important quotes in 'The Crucible' on these topics. Some of the quote are 'The Crucible' quotes about fear, accusation quotes, and different character quotes from 'The Crucible'. We have listed the best ones for you here.
1. "I am a minister of the Lord, and I dare not take a life without there be a proof so immaculate no slightest qualm of conscience may doubt it."
- Reverend John Hale, Act three, page 92.
This quote was made by Reverend Hale regrading the proof of witchcraft. These lines show that people who believe in witchcraft want to take actions that have severe consequences. Reverend Hale wants certainty before any actions are undertaken.
2. "Let either of you breathe a word or the edge of a word... and I will bring a pointy reckoning that will shudder you."
- Abigail Williams, Act one, page 20.
The wrongdoings of Abigail come to light and the readers come to know her actual character through powerful lines like this.
3. "Abigail: Don't lie! To Hale: She comes to me while I sleep; She's always making me dream corruptions!"
- Abigail Williams, Act one, page 41.
This quote was made by Abigail in anger, she is furious because Miller has called her a liar. It is ironic as she has lied throughout the play yet is now angry at the accusation.
4. "No man may longer doubt the powers of the dark are gathered in monstrous attack up on this village. There is too much evidence now to deny it."
- Reverend John Hale, Act two, page 61.
This is one of the most famous Reverend Hale quotes delivered in the play. Reverend Hale thinks that the village is under the powers of demons or under the powers of dark magic. However, what is affecting Salem most, is the fear and suspicion.
5. "There is a misty plot afoot so subtle we should be criminal to cling to old respects and ancient friendships. I have seen too many frightful proofs in court - the Devil is alive in Salem, and we dare not quail to follow wherever the accusing finger points!"
- Reverend John Hale, Act two, page 68.
The quote is one of the most famous hysteria quotes from the book as the lines expresses the fear and hysteria of people during the Salem Witch Trials. Hale demonstrates the mindsets of the book's characters, filled with fear and hysteria.
6. "I never knew what pretense Salem was, I never knew the lying lessons I was taught by all these Christian women and their covenanted men! And now you bid me tear the light out of my eyes? I will not, I cannot! You loved me, John Proctor, and whatever sin it is, you love me yet!"
- Abigail Williams, Act one, page 19.
The quote is one of the most memorable Abigail quotes from 'The Crucible'. Abigail Williams delivered this quote in her conversation with John Proctor. The lines refer to her past love affair with Proctor.
7. "I never had no wife that be so taken with books, and I thought to find the cause of it, d'y'see, but it were no witch I blamed her for. He is openly weeping. I have broke charity with the woman, I have broke charity with her."
- Giles Corey, Act three, page 79.
This quote was made by Giles Corey, who is among the most sensible and calm characters of 'The Crucible'. Giles was trapped in hysteria during the witchcraft trials as his wife was found accused of being a witch. Giles was shocked by his wife's strange and different behavior.
8. "My name is good in the village! I will not have it said my name is soiled! Goody Proctor is a gossiping liar!"
- Abigail Williams, Act one, page 12.
This quote is made by Abigail, who is very much concerned about her reputation in Salem. She says that she does not want to soil her name. This statement from Abigail shows how important her reputation is to her.
9. "Mr. Hale, as God have not empowered me like Joshua to stop this sun from rising, so I cannot withhold from them the perfection of their punishment."
- Reverend Samuel Parris, Act four, page 3.
In the above quote, Reverend Samuel Parris asks Judge Danforth to prevent the executions of John Proctor and Rebecca Nurse. The quote was made after Mercy and Abigail ran away during the trial, creating a suspicion of the whole witch trial's credibility.
10. "You have a faulty understanding of young girls. There is a promise made in any bed."
- Elizabeth Proctor, Act two, page 61.
This one of the most profound Elizabeth proctor quotes from 'The 'Crucible'. Elizabeth Proctor is the wife of John Proctor. During Elizabeth's conversation with John Proctor, she says that Proctor has little understanding of Abigail, who he is having an affair with.
11. "I only hope you'll not be so sarcastical no more. Four judges and the King's deputy sat to dinner with us but an hour ago. I —I would have you speak civilly to me, from this out."
- Mary Warren, Act two, page 57.
This is one of the best Mary Warren quotes. During the witch trial, Mary Warren started receiving respect because of her greater power and position.
12. “We burn a hot fire here; It melts down all concealment.”
- Judge Danforth, Act three, page 83.
This is one of the Judge Danforth quotes from 'The Crucible'. It is spoken during his conversation with John Proctor. The term "hot fire" is a metaphor used to describe the disturbed environment of Salem, so this quote can be understood as a warning to John Proctor that he must tell the truth when faced with the allegations against him.
13. "What victory would the Devil have to win a soul already bad? It is the best the Devil wants, and who is better than the minister."
- Reverend John Hale, Act one, page 22.
Reverend John Hale says this quote to Betty. Hale thinks that the devil is after Betty because she is innocent, yet the guilt of the all the incidents has made her ill.
14. "If Jacobs hangs for a witch he forfeit up his property—that’s law! And there is none but Putnam with the coin to buy so great a piece."
- Giles Corey, Act three, page 101.
This is one of the best Giles Corey quotes. It is one of many accusations made against Putnam throughout the play.
15. "I think those must be both arrested in contempt, Sir."
- Judge Hathorne, Act three, page 90.
This line is one of the Judge Hathorne quotes from 'The Crucible'. It refers to Giles and Francis. The quote shows just how easily the court is manipulated through false evidence.
16. "I want the light of God, I want the sweet love of Jesus! I danced for the Devil; I saw him, I wrote in his book; I go back to Jesus; I kiss His hand. I saw Sarah Good with the Devil!"
- Abigail Williams, Act one, page 45.
In this quote Abigail Williams confesses to being a witch and meeting with the devil. She also accuses others of being involved in witchcraft.
17. “I never knew it before. I never knew anything before… and all at once I remembered everything she done to me!”
- Mary Warren, Act two, page 60.
The quote is spoken by Mary Warren to Elizabeth and John Proctor. Mary claims that she is bewitched by Sarah Good., whom Abigail has previously accused of witchcraft.
18. "We cannot leap to witchcraft. They will howl me out of Salem for such corruption in my house."
- Reverend Parris, Act one, page 12.
This is found among the Reverend Parris quotes. He does not want to lose his power and reputation and thus, ignores the accusations of witchcraft.
19. "In God’s name, sir, stop here; Send him home and let him come again with a lawyer."
- Reverend Hale, Act three, page 104.
The quote is spoken by Hale to Danforth. it reveals that he is against the court trials. Hale sides with John Proctor, and knows that he is innocent.
We have listed the best and most memorable quotes by John Proctor, who is one of the lead characters of the play.
20. "Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life!... How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name!"
- John Proctor, Act four, page 133.
The quote is made by John Proctor in context to his self-respect, self-worth and reputation. Proctor uttered these lines when his confession was being made public in court. The line "because it is my name" is the most memorable line said by John Proctor in the 'The Crucible'.
21. "I should have roared you down when first you told me your suspicion. But I wilted, and, like a Christian, I confessed. Confessed! Some dream I had must have mistaken you for God that day."
- John Proctor, Act two, page 55.
The above quote was spoken by John Proctor as he wanted his wife Elizabeth to forgive him after he made his confessions about witchcraft.
22. "A fire, a fire is burning! I hear the boot of Lucifer, I see his filthy face… for them that quail to bring men out of ignorance, as I have quailed, and as you quail now when you know in all your black hearts that this be fraud."
- John Proctor, Act three, page 96.
This quote is from John Proctor, a character who confesses to his involvement in witchcraft, but then goes on to maintain his innocence and self-worth.
23. "I speak my own sins; I cannot judge another. I have no tongue for it."
- John Proctor, Act four, page 113.
The quote is also spoken by Proctor who, when confessing to being involved in witchcraft, refuses to involve others in his confession.
24. "Oh, Elizabeth, your justice would freeze beer!"
- John Proctor, Act two, page 53.
The quote by John Proctor was in response to Elizabeth. Proctor lied to Elizabeth about his affair with Abigail and her involvement in witchcraft and this is spoken when they are discussing his lies.
25. “Is the accuser always holy now? Were they born this morning as clean as God’s fingers? I’ll tell you what’s walking Salem—vengeance is walking Salem”
- John Proctor, Act two, page 81.
The line is said by Proctor to Hale. He hints that the accusers are saying lies but suggests that they cannot hide the truth for long.
26. “Excellency, does it not strike upon you that so many of these women have lived so long with such upright reputation, and.."
- John Proctor, Act three, page 95.
The quote is made by Proctor in response to Judge Danforth. He is commenting of the idea of reputation, something which is so important to many characters in the play.
27. “You will not use me! I am no Sarah Good or Tituba, I am John Proctor! You will not use me! It is no part of salvation that you should use me!”
- John Proctor, Act four, page 132.
The quote is uttered by Proctor after Judge Danforth convinces Proctor to sign the confession. He confessed that he had an affair with Abigail but maintains that he has no contact with the devil.
28. “God damns our kind especially, and we will burn, we will burn together!”
- John Proctor, Act three, page 125.
The quote is spoken by John Proctor during his conversation with Judge Danforth. He says that both of them have committed wrong-doings, and thus they both will have to pay for this.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for 'The Crucible' quotes then why not take a look at these 'A Doll's House' quotes, or [Margaret Atwood quotes] for more?
Read The Disclaimer
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.