Get inspiration for education!
Subscribe for virtual tools, STEM-inspired play, creative tips and more
Wuthering Heights is the only finished novel from Emily Brontë, which she wrote under her pseudonym "Ellis Bell".
Emily Brontë set Wuthering Heights in Yorkshire and the book is about a man who became obsessed with a vengeance after the love of his life goes on to marry another man. Cathy Henshaw's foster brother Heathcliff goes ahead to wreak revenge after forces within and out separate them.
The thematic structure of Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë is focused on love and vengeance. The love Catherine and Heathcliff feel for each other is the strongest in the book and it is what brings about the conflict in the book that draws a plot.
Vengeance as a theme in the book centers on Heathcliff's journey to wreak vengeance on those he believed had a hand in separating him from Catherine.
If you've read the book, there are some interesting quotes to refresh your memory on what a great book it was. If you've also not read the book, these quotes will open up your interest to pick the book up and read. Wuthering Heights is a very interesting book that is still being recommended after over 170 years since it was written. Emily Bronte quotes from Wuthering Heights are generally agreed to be some of the most beautiful in the english language. There are some Wuthering Heights famous quotes and some Wuthering Heights revenge quotes you've probably come across before. While some of them may be Heathcliff revenge quotes, Hareton Earnshaw quotes, Linton Heathcliff quotes, or Hindley Earnshaw quotes, they can also be called the best quotes from Wuthering Heights. I'm sure you'll like our quotes on Wuthering Heights you can check out these quotes articles: Dracula quotes and Jane Eyre quotes.
Quotes By Heathcliff
Heathcliff is one of the major characters in Wuthering Heights. He is sometimes viewed as a Byronic hero because he has some dark characteristics. Some of the most interesting quotes from Wuthering Heights are either gothic quotes about love or destructive quotes but they are at best interesting and filled with love. There are also some Wuthering Heights quotes about the moors and some Heathcliff quotes about Catherine here as their relationship is tied closely to the moors where they played as children.
1. “You teach me now how cruel you’ve been—cruel and false. Why did you despise me? Why did you betray your own heart, Cathy? I have not one word of comfort.” - Heathcliff
2. “If he loved with all the powers of his puny being, he couldn’t love as much in eighty years as I could in a day.” - Heathcliff
3. “I wish I had light hair and a fair skin, and was dressed, and behaved as well, and had a chance of being as rich as he will be!” - Heathcliff
4. "In every cloud, in every tree-filling the air at night, and caught by glimpses in every object, by day I am surrounded with her image!" - Heathcliff
5. “Do I want to live?. Would you like to live with your soul in the grave?” - Heathcliff
6. “Are you possessed with a devil, 'to talk in that manner to me when you are dying? Do you reflect that all those words will be branded in my memory, and eating deeper eternally after you have left me?” - Heathcliff
7. “You know that I could as soon forget you as my existence!” - Heathcliff
8. "You are welcome to torture me to death for your amusement, only allow me to amuse myself a little in the same style, and refrain from insult as much as you are able." - Heathcliff, this is one of the best Heathcliff violence quotes for essays.
8. “You teach me now how cruel you’ve been—cruel and false. Why did you despise me? Why did you betray your own heart, Cathy? I have not one word of comfort.” - Heathcliff
9. “Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! . . . It is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!” - Heathcliff
10. “I have to remind myself to breathe – almost to remind my heart to beat!” - Heathcliff
11. “It is hard to forgive, and to look at those eyes, and feel those wasted hands,’ he answered. ‘Kiss me again; and don’t let me see your eyes! I forgive what you have done to me. I love my murderer—but yours! How can I?” - Heathcliff
12. "Guests are so exceedingly rare in this house that I and my dogs, I am willing to own, hardly know how to receive them." - Heathcliff
13. I seek no revenge on you. Thats not the plan. The Tyrant grinds down his slaves, and they don't turn against him; they crush those beneath them."
14. "It is not in him to be loved like me: how can she love in him what he has not?" Heathcliff
15. "Misery and death and all the evils that God and man could have ever done would never have patted us."
16. "Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest so long as I live on! I killed you. Haunt me, then. Haunt your murderer! I know that ghosts have wandered on the earth.'
17. "You needn't have touched me! I shall be as dirty as I please, and I like to be dirty, and I will be dirty."
Catherine is a major character in Wuthering Heights. She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Earnshaw. Catherine has a high and lively spirit. Catherine is divided as she wants to be with Heathcliff whom she truly loves and but she settles for Edgar because of the social gains he has to offer. Catherine Earnshaw quotes offer a glimpse of her character in Wuthering Heights and her love for Heathcliff and her love for Linton.
18. "However miserable you make us, we shall still have the revenge of thinking that your cruelty arises from your greater misery." - Catherine
19. "My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods: time will change it, I’m well aware, as winter changes the trees. My love for Heathcliﬀ resembles the eternal rocks beneath: a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I AM Heathcliﬀ!" - Catherine
20. “I wish I were out of doors! I wish I were a girl again, half savage and hardy, and free . . . and laughing at injuries, not maddening under them!” - Catherine
21. "Pray, don't imagine that he conceals depths of benevolence and affection beneath a stern exterior! He's not a rough diamond, a pearl containing oyster of a rustic: he's a feirce, pitiless, wolfish man." - This is one of our favorite Wuthering Heights Cathy quotes.
22. "It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff now; so he shall never know how I love him: and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am." - Catherine
23. “Linton is all I have to love in the world, and though you have done what you could to make him hateful to me, and me to him, you cannot make us hate each other. And I defy you to hurt him when I am by, and I defy you to frighten me!” - Catherine
24. “I have not broken your heart—you have broken it; and in breaking it, you have broken mine. So much the worse for me that I am strong.” - Catherine
25. “I gave him my heart, and he took and pinched it to death; and flung it back to me. People feel with their hearts, Ellen, and since he has destroyed mine, I have not power to feel for him.”
26. “I’m wearying to escape into that glorious world, and to be always there: not seeing it dimly through tears, and yearning for it through the walls of an aching heart: but really with it, and in it.”
27. "But I begin to fancy you don't like me. How strange! I thought, though everybody hated and despised each other, they could not avoid loving me."
28. "Oh, I’ve endured very, very bitter misery, Nelly! If that creature knew how bitter, he’d be ashamed to cloud its removal with idle petulance. It was kindness for him which induced me to bear it alone . . . However, it’s over, and I’ll take no revenge on his folly"
29. “In my soul and in my heart, I’m convinced I’m wrong!”
30. “I’ve dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas: they’ve gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind. And this is one: I’m going to tell it—but take care not to smile at any part of it.”
31. "Why, how very black and cross you look! and how - how funny and grim! But that's because I'm used to Edgar and Isabella Linton…"
32. "If you have not the courage to attack him, make an apology or allow yourself to be beaten. It will correct you of feigning more valor than you possess."
33. "Heaven did not seem to be my home; and I broke my heart with weeping to come back to earth; and the angels grew so angry that they flung me out onto the middle of the heath on the top of Wuthering Heights; where I woke to sob for joy."
Although Wuthering has a strong element of vengeance, you cannot miss the love that reigns supreme in the novel. The Wuthering Heights love quotes are some of the best quotes in Wuthering Heights. They sometimes include romantic gothic quotes, thrushcross grange quotes, Emily Brontë quotes, Heathcliff's love in Edgar Linton quotes about Catherine, Isabella Linton quotes, or Catherine and Heathcliff quotes. Here are some Wuthering Heights quotes about love and some Wuthering Heights important quotes.
34. “My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath: a source of little visible delight, but necessary.” - Catherine
35. “It was not the thorn bending to the honeysuckles, but the honeysuckles embracing the thorn." - Nelly Dean
36. "He has no claim on my charity. I gave him my heart, and he took and pinched it to death, and flung it back to me." - Isabella
37. "She could be soft and mild as a dove, and she had a gentle voice and pensive expression: her anger was never furious; her love never fierce; it was deep and tender." Nelly Dean
38. "You know as well as I do, that for every thought she spends on Linton she spends a thousand on me!" - Heathcliff
39. "My confessions have not relieved me; but they may account for some otherwise unaccountable phases of humour which I show. O God! It is a long fight; I wish it were over!"
40. “Time brought resignation, and a melancholy sweeter than common joy.”
41. “If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger.” - Catherine
Wuthering Heights is considered a gothic novel because it has some elements of ghosts, death, revenge, greed, and jealousy. The story doesn't have any real hero nor is the heroine an angel.
42. "It is a moral teething; and I grind with greater energy in proportion to the increase of pain." - Heathcliff
43. "Small features, very fair; flaxen ringlets, or rather golden, hanging loose on her delicate neck;" - Catherine Jr
44. "Terror made me cruel; and, finding it useless to attempt shaking the creature off, I pulled its wrist on to the broken pane, and rubbed it to and fro till the blood ran down and soaked the bedclothes: still it wailed, ‘Let me in!" - Lockwood quotes
45. ". . . Yet, still, I don’t like being out in the dark now; and I don’t like being left by myself in this grim house: I cannot help it; I shall be glad when they leave it, and shift to the Grange." - Nelly
46. “I am now quite cured of seeking pleasure in society, be it country or town. A sensible man ought to find sufficient company in himself.” - Lockwood
47. “Treachery and violence are spears pointed at both ends; they wound those who resort to them worse than their enemies.” - Isabella
47. “Let him dare to force you ... There’s law in the land, thank God! there is; though we be in an out-of-the-way place. I’d inform if he were my own son: and it’s felony without benefit of clergy!” - Ellen
49. If the dead villain could rise from his grave to abuse me for his offspring’s wrongs, I should have the fun of seeing the said offspring fight him back again, indignant that he should dare to rail at the one friend he has in the world!” - Heathcliff
50. "About twelve o'clock, that night, was born the Catherine you saw at Wuthering Heights: a puny, seven months' child; and two hours after the mother died, having never recovered sufficient consciousness to miss Heathcliff, or know Edgar."
51. "I have no pity! I have no pity! The more the worms writhe, the more I yearn to crush out their entrails! It is a moral teething; and I grind with greater energy in proportion to the increase of pain." -quotes about Heathcliff being cruel also violence in Wuthering Heights quotes.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for article then why not take a look at Charlotte Bronte quotes, or 'Pride and Prejudice' quotes.
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.