Are Daylilies Poisonous To Dogs? How To Keep Them From Consuming It

Akinwalere Olaleye
Jan 24, 2024 By Akinwalere Olaleye
Originally Published on Oct 22, 2021
Daylily flower in the garden.
Age: 3-18
Read time: 5.6 Min

Dogs are social animals that thrive on love and care from people.

Over thousands of years, dogs have been thoroughly domesticated. They are known to be ideal pets.

Our four-legged friends are fun-loving and active; but, they can fall sick often, their diets must be strictly maintained, and they need exercise to remain healthy. As we all know, dogs tend to be voracious eaters and will sniff, nibble, and ingest anything that catches their fancy. For them, almost everything is edible. But did you know that certain plants and flowers, like lilies and daffodils, could be fatal for your beloved pet?

A helpful guide to the types of plants that are or aren't suitable for your dog will certainly come in handy if you're looking to bring a new pet home.

If you're enjoying this article, why not also get the answers to questions like, are cats supposed to eat catnip and are carnations toxic to cats here on Kidadl?

Are daylilies toxic to dogs?

Backyards are like dogs' own personal playgrounds. Your furry friend may love to roll around in leaves and play with stray branches, stems, and flowers. They might even be tempted to feed on them once in a while. Unfortunately, your house garden may contain many common plants that can be highly toxic to your pet dog, if ingested. One of these plants is the lily.

Lilies (Lilium) are beautiful plants that bloom into gorgeous flowers from tiny bulbs. The ornamental flower is typically used in bouquets. A symbol of love, purity, innocence, and devotion, the lily is also a popular choice for gardens. Unfortunately, they do not always mix nicely with house pets. Some species of lilies are extremely toxic to dogs and cats, while others are classified as harmless. So, are daylilies toxic to pets? The answer is a confusing 'yes and no.' Yes, they could be extremely dangerous if ingested by cats; no, daylilies are not toxic to dogs. Cats may experience severe symptoms of poisoning, and will also suffer from acute or irreversible kidney failure if adequate treatment is delayed.

What happens when a dog eats daylilies?

It is natural to be worried if your dog has ingested lilies, since there are various species of the flower that could be fatal for some house pets. However, you don't need to worry if you know your dog has consumed daylilies, since the plant is non-toxic to dogs.

The trumpet-shaped orange daylily (Hemerocallis) is often confused with lilies (Lilium), which are in fact poisonous to dogs. Unlike the lily, the daylily does not grow from bulbs. It grows from roots, is orange in color, and is of a different genus. The plant is non-poisonous to both humans and dogs. Your dogs will remain healthy even if they have consumed the plant. It might be worth mentioning that although the daylily is not toxic to dogs according to the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals), it could still cause an upset stomach or another mild form of discomfort if ingested in large amounts.

Interestingly, not only is the daylily non-toxic to people, but it is also quite edible. This plant does not grow from bulbs like true lilies or peace lilies, or even other popular bulb flowers like tulips and daffodils. It is a root plant that is composed of vital nutrients and can even be grown as a food crop for humans.

Multicolored Daylilies on a blooming .

What To Do When Your Dog Eats Daylilies

Since we have already established that daylilies are not toxic to dogs, there's no need to worry if you find that your pet has consumed its leaves, flowers, or any other part of the plant. Although the plant is not ultimately dangerous for your dog, it is best to have your pet examined and avoid complications.

Your pet will not show common symptoms of poisoning (vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea, seizures, and tremors) if they have only eaten a daylily. The toxicity of the flower can only cause extreme damage, like kidney failure, in cats. There may be some uncomfortable symptoms in reaction to the plant, such as an upset stomach. If that is the case, it's recommended that you have your pet examined by a veterinarian. You can also consult the ASPCA over the phone for some quick advice.

How To Keep Your Dog From Eating Daylilies

Even though the daylily is non-poisonous for dogs, it is best to keep your furry friends away from it. If they end up consuming too many of its petals or leaves, it might cause a few uncomfortable reactions.

To keep your dog from feeding on your daylilies, you must make sure they are completely out of reach from your dog. Hang them from wicker baskets or plant them in an enclosed area where your pet can't gain access. You can also spray the plant with diluted lemon juice. The spray will cause no harm to your plant, but its tangy smell will naturally deter your dog.

Some lilies that are extremely poisonous to both dogs and cats are the Asiatic lily, the lily of the valley, and the peace lily. The toxicity of these plants is so potent that ingestion, even in small quantities, is enough to cause serious poisoning and can send these animals to the vet. It is best that you avoid keeping such houseplants to ensure your pet dog or cat does not come into contact with them.

Did You Know...

Though daylilies are relatively safe around dogs, there is still a variety of lilies that may cause an animal to fall ill.

True lilies (Lilium) that look like the daylily (Hemerocallis) can be fatal for dogs. The toxicity of the plant is so potent that, if eaten, it can cause vomiting, seizures, tremors, kidney failure, and ultimately death among house pets.

The lily of the valley is one such flower that contains the harmful irritant cardio glycoside. Eating the leaves or flowers of the plant can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and even death.

If a dog eats any part of the peace lily, it can cause excessive vomiting and drooling. The presence of calcium oxalate crystals in the plant can also cause mouth irritation, which can make swallowing or eating a very painful process for the dog.

The calla lily is another species of lily that consists of insoluble calcium oxalate crystals. Even just a tiny bite of a calla lily can cause uncontrolled drooling, excessive vomiting, mouth infections, loss of appetite, and an upset stomach.

Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly facts for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for are daylilies poisonous to dogs, then why not take a look at are begonias poisonous to dogs, or are azaleas poisonous to dogs?

We Want Your Photos!
We Want Your Photos!

We Want Your Photos!

Do you have a photo you are happy to share that would improve this article?
Email your photos

More for You

See All

Written by Akinwalere Olaleye

Bachelor of Arts specializing in English Literature

Akinwalere Olaleye picture

Akinwalere OlaleyeBachelor of Arts specializing in English Literature

As a highly motivated, detail-oriented, and energetic individual, Olaleye's expertise lies in administrative and management operations. With extensive knowledge as an Editor and Communications Analyst, Olaleye excels in editing, writing, and media relations. Her commitment to upholding professional ethics and driving organizational growth sets her apart. She has a bachelor's degree in English Literature from the University of Benin, Edo State. 

Read full bio >
Read the DisclaimerFact Correction