Get inspiration for education!
Subscribe for virtual tools, STEM-inspired play, creative tips and more
Dragonflies have long been described as magical creatures, with some authors declaring them to be as magical as a fairy.
These beautiful insects with pretty wings symbolize life balance, change, self-realization, wisdom, power, and poise. Many dragonfly quotes and sayings are not only about their beauty but also about their significance in nature.
So, if you love dragonflies, why not take a look at this list of beautiful dragonfly quotes and dragonfly sayings, including some dragonfly meaning quotes, dragonflies poem quotes, and quotes about dragonfly behavior. Some people also believe that saving a dragonfly brings good luck, so perhaps reading these dragonfly quotes will bring you some good luck today?
Thanks to their beauty and their special meaning, dragonflies are often a focal point of art journals, fabric prints, paintings, books, and even tattoos. Now it is their turn to take center stage in this list of dragonfly sayings and quotes!
For more great quotes, you can check out these [nature quotes] and wildlife quotes too.
Best Dragonfly Quotes
The finest dragonfly quotes, sayings, and phrases are often inspirational. Inspirational dragonfly quotes describe the beauty of these fairy-like winged creatures in a special way. Many authors talk about their beautiful colors and how their wings reflecting the sunlight. Here are the best quotes about the dragonfly for you to read, including Robyn Nola's famous saying about dragonflies: "Dragonflies are reminders that we are light and we can reflect light in powerful ways if we choose to do so."
1. “Magic is seeing wonder in nature's every little thing, seeing how wonderful the fireflies are and how magical are the dragonflies.”
- Ama H.Vanniarachchy.
2. “Dragonflies are reminders that we are light and we can reflect light in powerful ways if we choose to do so.”
― Robyn Nola.
3. “I love to see the sunshine on the wings of the dragonflies... there is magic in it.”
- Ama H.Vanniarachchy.
4. “The dragonfly charm. Embrace the magic of nature & life will be filled with good fortune.”
- Viola Shipman, ‘The Charm Bracelet’.
5. “The dragonfly exists because it exists and for no other reason.”
― Marty Rubin.
6. "The dragonfly brings dreams to reality and is the messenger of wisdom and enlightenment from other realms."
7. "Time is for dragonflies and angels. The former live too little and the latter live too long."
8. "I can still only see a dragonfly, its wings as thin and light as silk... But on the wings of this dragonfly I take off and fly… It is our bodies these borrowed vehicles of flesh and bone, that weigh us down...”
- Daniela I Norris.
9. “Did you know that at the time of the dinosaurs… Some dragonflies could be as big as a hawk.”
– Paulette Morin.
10. "… danced and buzzed in the golden autumn light… the air was full of… glinting dragonflies shot …with gauzy wings and gleaming bodies.”
- Arthur Conan Doyle.
11. "May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with fairies and talk to the moon."
12. "A dragonfly to remind me even though we are apart. Your spirit is always with me, forever in my heart."
Famous Dragonfly Quotes
The dragonfly symbolizes good luck in many cultures. In many quotes, the dragonfly is seen to be synonymous with harmony and purity. Read on to see more in these popular dragonfly quotes.
13. "As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame"
- Gerard Manley Hopkins.
14. "Dragonflies didn't imagine they could sense the future. They just flew about, enjoying the sun on their wings."
- Kate Morton.
15. "Smile, to see the lake lay the still sky and out for an easy make the dragonfly."
- Lorine Niedecker.
16. "Reflected in the dragonfly's eye - mountains."
- Kobayashi Issa.
17. “The dragonfly is a transformer of the people… believed they went to the Star Nation and came back as dragonflies. Dragonflies were born in water…”
– Agnes Emma Baker-Pilgrim.
18. "The beauteous dragonfly's dancing by the waves of the rivulet glancing… her figure so slender.”
- Heinrich Heine.
19. “Anyone can buy a car or a night on the town… I don’t mean gawking at the Chrysler Building. I’m talking about the wing of a dragonfly...”
- Amor Towles.
20. "So, that was Nature's way. The mosquito felt pain and panic but the dragonfly knew nothing of cruelty. Humans would call it evil, the big dragonfly destroying the mosquito and ignoring the little insects suffering.”
- John Marsden.
21. "All these words, words like 'evil' and 'vicious', they meant nothing to Nature. Yes, evil was a human invention.”
- John Marsden.
Beautiful Quotes About Dragonflies
The beauty of a dragonfly has often been compared to the beauty of a fairy, and many believe that dragonflies are the fairy of nature! One amazing thing about dragonflies is their purposes in the natural world. Dragonflies are a hugely important part of the food chain, both as predators of mosquitos and as prey for some fish. Not only this, but they are exceptionally beautiful, fairy-like creatures. Find out more here!
22. "When a dragonfly flutters by, you may not realize, but it's the greatest flier in nature…"
- Louie Schwartzberg.
23. "The dragonfly is an exceptionally beautiful insect… has four wings that beat independently... A dragonfly can put on a burst of speed… switch direction in a flash…"
- Richard Preston.
24. “The dragonfly spiritually embodies the stripping away of negativity that holds us back... Dragonflies are the keepers of dreams... Dragonflies inspire… creativity.”
– Beauty and the Green.
25. "Dragonflies symbolize the change in perspective of yourself."
26. "Deep in the sun searched growths, the dragonfly hangs like a blue thread loosened from the sky."
- Dante Gabriel Rossetti.
27. “Bound by blood, marked by the dragonfly.”
– L.L. Akers.
28. “Despite its dark veins, the transparency of dragonfly’s wings assures me of a pure, innocent world.”
– Munia Khan.
29. “I am the dragonfly rising on the wings of unlocked dreams on the verge of magical things.”
– Aimee Stewart.
30. "It's very far away, it takes about a half a day to get there. If we travel by my, uh, dragonfly."
- Jimi Hendrix.
Inspirational Dragonfly Quotes
There’s always a life lesson to learn from some inspirational dragonfly quotes. This collection of dragonfly quotes, sayings, and proverbs will transport you to a beautiful world of dragonflies in nature.
31. "Living things tend to change unrecognizably… Who would deduce the dragonfly from the larva… the lawyer from the infant?”
- Diane Ackerman.
32. "Their love as a dragonfly… stoppin to visit the lotus. Eating dreams and drinking blue sky."
- Janet Fitch.
33. "Yesterday a child came out to wonder, caught a dragonfly inside a jar..."
- Joni Mitchell.
34. "If you are old and you wish to be young again, if only for a moment, try and identify a dragonfly."
- Simon Barnes.
35. "This dragonfly… He was hovering right in front of my face… How does he see me? I became enlightened."
- Ziggy Marley.
Dragonfly Quotes From Poems
From art and jewelry to children’s books and poems, beautiful dragonflies have won over the hearts of kids, grownups, and poets alike!
36. "Today I saw the dragonfly come from the wells where he did lie... A living flash of light he flew."
- Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
37. "The dragonfly pauses in the middle of an April rain to listen to the girl who cries. The girl… looks at the dragonfly and wonders what it means to pause in the middle of an April rain."
- Robyn, 'Dragonfly'.
38. "Fly, Dragonfly, fly! Spread your wings... take off to the skies, follow the blowing winds!"
- OnlyEggy, 'Fly, Dragonfly'.
39. "Dragonfly with wings of blue, what makes me wonder just like you… the colors of life, just like you..."
- Johnny Dod, 'Dragonfly'.
40. "Restless dragonfly, darting, dancing
Over the ribbons of trailing weed…"
- Arthur Christopher Benson, 'The Dragonfly'.
41. "If you are old and you wish to be young again, if only for a moment, try and identify a dragonfly."
- Simon Barnes.
42. "Add a pair of wings to a pepper pod, you would make a dragonfly.”
- Chris Bradford.
43. "But for the hours… powerless to move as a dragonfly in amber."
- Diana Gabaldon.
44. "A wet dragonfly can fly again!"
- Anaka Jones.
45. "A dragonfly arrives and leaves like a change of mind."
- David Mitchell.
46. "The other day, I tried to remember what was the word for 'dragonfly' and couldn't."
- Donna Tartt.
47. "I got to keep a clip for my hair. It had a pretty little dragonfly on it…"
- Mackenzie Foy.
Dragonfly quotes and proverbs are full of words of wisdom. Look deeper into these quotes to discover something new every time.
48. “In July the ant works, the dragonfly flaunts.”
– Russian proverb.
49. “One can hardly believe a dragonfly laid the eagle eggs.”
– Georgian proverb.
50. “On dragonfly wings with buttercup tea.”
– Indian proverb.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for dragonfly quotes, then why not take a look at these bee quotes or wildflower quotes too?
*Do you know where this quote originated? Please email us to let us know at [email protected]
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.