Get inspiration for education!
Subscribe for virtual tools, STEM-inspired play, creative tips and more
The feeling you feel when you experience that first butterfly in the pit of your stomach.
First love never dies. The initial look, the smile, and the flutter it creates in your heart are all unforgettable.
We have all experienced these feelings in our years growing up. Some sooner, some later, but first love can never be forgotten. Our first love is special because first love can be considered a rite of passage for anyone. As we cross into over teenage years, we realize the changes that happen inside us and around us. We experience attraction, infatuation, and such feelings for the first time. These feelings confuse us, enthrall us and let us experience our highs and lows of love simultaneously. Oxytocin, the love hormone, takes us through this bumpy ride. We get a bit obsessive about things and people, especially that someone special. As young adults, we are also intrigued by what we are feeling and why we feel. Here some first love quotes to make you reminisce.
If you enjoy this article, check out these [first kiss quotes] and [forever love quotes] here.
Best New Love Quotes
Love is what makes the world go round and round. And first love is not just hard to forget. It is also impossible to let go of the spell that it casts on us. Those exhilarating days may never come back, and therefore, we love to relive them in our hearts and minds. Here are some great first love quotes for you to relive yours, as a first love can never be forgotten.
1. “The first stab of love is like a sunset, a blaze of color -- oranges, pearly pinks, vibrant purples...”
- Anna Godbersen, 'The Luxe'.
2. “On that very minute that I have hear of our first love story, I started looking for you and not realizing how blind that was. Lovers indeed do not meet somewhere. They are in each other all along.”
3. “First love is dangerous only when it is also the last.”
- Branislav Nusic.
4. “First romance, first love, is something so special to all of us, both emotionally and physically, that it touches our lives and enriches them forever.”
- Rosemary Rogers.
5. “First is love is just like a vaccination that saves a man from catching the complaint at the second time around.”
- Honore De Balzac.
6. “Men will always want to be a woman’s first love while women would want to be men’s last romance.”
- Oscar Wilde.
7. “The magic of first love is our ignorance and it will never end.”
- Benjamin Disraeli.
8. “First love is only a little foolishness and a lot of curiosity.”
- George Bernard Shaw.
9. “A man always remembers his first love with special tenderness, but after that he begins to bunch them.”
- Henry Louis Mencken.
10. “If you will think back of your first love, you will for sure remember a lot of great little things that will bring so much happiness in you.”
- Naya Rivera.
11. “I am glad it cannot happen twice, the fever of first Love. For it is a fever, and a burden, too, whatever the poets may say.”
- Daphne Du Maurier, ‘Rebecca.’
12. “I was in love, and the feeling was even more wonderful than I ever imagined it could be.”
- Nicholas Sparks, 'A Walk To Remember'.
13. “You remember your first love because they show you, prove to you, that you can love and be loved, that nothing in this world is deserved except for love, that love is both how you become a person and why.”
- John Green, ‘Turtles All The Way Down.’
14. “No, this trick won’t work...How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? ”
- Albert Einstein.
15. “He smiles at me, and I am suddenly seventeen again - the year I realize that love doesn’t follow the rules, the year I understood that nothing is worth having so much as something unattainable.”
- Jodi Picoult, ‘My Sister’s Keeper.’
16. “I have never been in love before,” Julian said. “You’re my first-and you’ll be my only.”
- L.J. Smith, ‘The Hunter.’
17. “The first stab of love is like a sunset, a blaze of colour...”
- Anna Godbersen, ‘The Luxe.’
18. “A man is lucky if he is the first Love of a woman. A woman is lucky if she is the last love of a man.”
- Charles Dickens.
19. “Something about first love defies duplication. Before it, your heart is blank. Unwritten. After, the walls are left inscribed and graffitied. When it ends, no amount of scrubbing will purge the scrawled oaths and sketched images, but sooner or later, you find that there’s space for someone else, between the words and in the margins.”
- Tammara Webber, ‘Where You Are.’
20. “I love you. I can’t remember when I fell in love with you but very naturally, I had fallen in love with you before I knew it. The first time I met you, you were a strong and kind boy. You always protected me.”
- Makoto Shinkai, ‘5 Centimetres Per Second.’
Famous First Love Quotes
First love is a powerful emotion, and we literally are walking on clouds and feeling emotions that are new for us at that time, as is the first heartbreak, which can be a heart-wrenching experience. Sometimes love doesn’t last, unfortunately. Here are some more first love quotes for you to remember the good times.
21. “I think a lot of people still fantasize about that first love and what might happen if they rekindled the relationship.”
- Sophie Kinsella.
22. “First loves are often terrible, probably because they are first and there is no conscious history into which they may be absorbed.”
- Siri Hustvedt, ‘A Plea For Eros: Essays.’
23. “Men always want to be a woman’s first Love. That is their clumsy vanity. Women have a more subtle instinct about things: What they like is to be a man’s last romance.”
- Oscar Wilde, ‘A Woman Of No Importance.’
24. “Every young girl tries to smother her first love in possessiveness. Oh, what tears and rejection await the girl who imbues her first delicate match with fantasies of permanence, expecting that he at this gelatinous stage will fit with her in a finished puzzle for all the days.”
- Gail Sheehy.
25. “Men always want to be a woman’s first love - women like to be a man’s last romance.”
- Oscar Wilde.
26. “It was love at first sight, at last sight, at ever and ever sight.”
- Vladimir Nabokov.
27. “Our first and last love is self-love.”
- Christian Nestell Bovee.
28. “We only love truly once. It is the first time and succeeding passions are less uncontrolled.”
- Du Coeur.
29. “No matter what the people say, I’m gonna love you anyway. Girl, you're my first Love.”
- Anthony Hamilton.
30. “Woman’s happiness begins with her first love and ends about then.”
- George Bernard Shaw.
31. “You need to first love yourself before you have anybody else love you.”
- Winnie Harlow.
32. “You can’t let someone else lower your self-esteem, because that’s what it is – self-esteem.”
- Winnie Harlow.
33. “My first love, I’ll never forget, and it’s such a big part of who I am, and in so many ways, we could never be together, but that doesn’t mean that it’s not forever. Because it is forever.”
- Rashida Jones.
34. “It’s true, you never forget your first love, and, for me, that will always be Paris.”
- Caitriona Balfe.
35. “My first love was basketball.”
- Stan Smith.
36. “The loss of young first love is so painful that it borders on the ludicrous.”
- Maya Angelou.
37. “You get over your first love by falling in love with something new.”
- Mo Ibrahim.
38. “I have been writing songs since I was 9 years old, so writing has and always will be my first love and passion.”
- Solange Knowles.
39. “Sometimes we have to behave indifferently towards people who proclaim their love to us, just to see if they are really different.”
- Michael Bassey Johnson.
40. “The minute I heard my first love story, I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They’re in each other all along.”
41. “There’s no love like the first.”
- Nicholas Sparks.
42. “First love is a kind of vaccination that immunizes a man from catching the disease a second time.”
- Honoré De Balzac.
43. “Your first love isn’t the first person you give your heart to―it’s the first one who breaks it.”
- Lang Leav, ‘Sad Girls.’
44. “One’s first love is always perfect until one meets one’s second love.”
- Elizabeth Aston, ‘The Exploits & Adventures Of Miss Alethea Darcy.’
Quotes About First Love Never Dies
The emotions of first love come from the heart, which is innocent and hopeful. We are still not aware of the difficulties a relationship faces due to multiple reasons. These are some first love quotes to get through the difficulties of heartbreak.
45. “It’s like trying to describe what you feel when you’re standing on the rim of the Grand Canyon or remembering your first love or the birth of your child. You have to be there to really know what it’s like.”
- Jack Schmitt.
46. “First love, with its frantic haughty imagination, swings its object clear of the everyday, over the rut of living, making him all looks, silences, gestures, attitudes, a burning phrase with no context.”
- Elizabeth Bowen.
47. “The future for me is already a thing of the past / You were my first love and you will be my last.”
- Bob Dylan, ‘Bye & Bye.’
48. “A first love always occupies a special place.”
- Lee Konitz.
50. “First romance, first love, is something so special to all of us, both emotionally and physically, that it touches our lives and enriches them forever.”
- Rosemary Rogers.
51. “Incidentally, I’m still looking for acting work, my first love.”
- Shelley Berman.
52. “I hate losing and cricket being my first love, once I enter the ground it’s a different zone altogether and that hunger for winning is always there.”
- Sachin Tendulkar.
53. “My whole life, baseball was my first Love. I was gonna go play college, but during my senior year I tore my ACL, and college kind of faded away with their offer, which I understand, obviously. That was a dark time in my life.”
- Morgan Wallen.
54. “My first love was the sound of guitar.”
- Boz Scaggs.
55. “No, the horror genre is not my first love. I don’t run to the theatre to see horror films.”
- Amanda Righetti.
56. “I love my mother. She’s my first love. She has been through a lot and is a sole survivor.”
- Missy Elliott.
57. “If I look back on my life, you can almost tell the story of it through pop songs. Romances as a teenager, your first kiss, first Love, first heartbreak.”
- Keren Woodward.
58. “I mean, there’s times to rock and roll, and I love that too. But I think my first love is acoustic music.”
- Graham Nash.
59. “My first love was Heath Ledger.”
- Emily Meade.
60. “She was my first love, and I loved her as only a boy loves.”
- James Weldon Johnson.
Reuniting With First Love Quotes
Your first love may change you as a person. It is an intense period of personal growth and maturity, and any new relationship adds to our personality. These are some first love quotes for you to read and understand.
61. “If you’ve been married for 400 years, as I have, it’s nice to experience first love again and you can vicariously through a book.”
- E. L. James.
62. “Italy, and the spring and first love all together should suffice to make the gloomiest person happy.”
- Bertrand Russell.
63. “Girls had never been important. I’d had a girlfriend or two and had liked them a lot but it wasn’t love, because my first Love was tennis.”
- Boris Becker.
64. “But when it comes to being loved, she’s first / That’s how I know / The first cut is the deepest.”
- Cat Stevens, ‘The First Cut Is The Deepest.’
65. “No, there’s nothing half so sweet in life as love’s young dream.”
- Thomas Moore.
66. “Every man is thoroughly happy twice in his life: just after he has met his first love, and just after he has left his last one.”
- Henry Louis Mencken.
67. “True love, especially first love, can be so tumultuous and passionate that it feels like a violent journey.”
- Holliday Grainger.
68. “Like an old photograph, time can make a feeling fade, but the memory of a first love never fades away.”
- Tim McGraw.
69. “First love can break you. But it can also save you.”
- Katie Khan.
70. “We must never expect discretion in first love: it is accompanied by such excessive joy that unless the joy is allowed to overflow, it will choke you.”
- Alexandre Dumas.
71. “The first love disappears, but never goes. That ache becomes reconciliation.”
- James Baldwin.
72. “When you discover first love as a teenager, your whole life revolves around it and you open yourself up to it.”
- Patrick Dempsey.
73. “Blues was my first love. It was the first thing where I said, ‘Oh man, this is the stuff.’ It just sounded so raw and honest; gut-bucket honest. From then I started rebelling.”
- Carlos Santana.
74. “You had me at hello.”
- Jerry Maguire.
75. “That first love. And the first one who breaks your heart. For me, they just happen to be the same person.”
- Sarah Dessen.
76. “We think of first love as sweet and valuable, a blessed if hazardous condition.”
- Roger Ebert.
77. “She was my first love, and I loved her as only a boy loves.”
- James Weldon Johnson.
78. “I went through my first big breakup, with a boyfriend who I had been with for more than two years. He had been one of my dancers, and it was my first love and his.”
- Christina Aguilera.
79. “If I know what love is, it is because of you.”
- Herman Hesse.
80. “My first love thinks that I’m too young. He doesn’t even know. Wish that I could show him what I’m feeling.”
- Nikka Costa.
81. “Love happens only once, and the second time is always a compromise made to forget the first love.”
- Ayan Khan.
82. “Find the love you seek, by first finding the love within yourself. Learn to rest in that place within you that is your true home.”
- Sri Sri Ravi Shankar.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for first love quotes, then why not take a look at [affection quotes], or [Disney love quotes].
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.