Get inspiration for education!
Subscribe for virtual tools, STEM-inspired play, creative tips and more
A dog is a furry friend of most of us, and their loyalty and love make them the most loved one.
Dogs are an essential part of our life, and they complete us in many ways. Losing them can be heart-wrenching.
Dogs are said to be everyone's best friend, and so the loss of a dog is a horrid time for many, as there are endless sweet memories that people share with their pets. Dog memorials, which often bear words such as "my best friend", lighten the heart and are written to honor our lost friend. Losing a pet, may it be a dog or a cat or any other animal, is full of grief, and so as to comfort someone undergoing hardships, here are some quotes to say when a dog died. A pet memorial is written or inscribed on a stone or a pet urn in remembrance of a pet to honor and reminisce. Here are quotes to write on a pet memorial to honor and say goodbye to your pet.
Dog Memorial Poems Quotes
These quotes are all taken from poems to provide comfort to someone who is overwhelmed with grief.
1. "At last again I see your face,
grieve not, I am in a better place."
- Carol Walker, 'Golden Eyes'.
2. "Losing a dog leaves a hole in your heart,
You simply just wait for your life to restart."
- Glenda Gillis.
3. "So hold me now just one more time
and let me hear you say."
- Susan A. Jackson, 'May I Go Now'.
4. "And since God put you here to share
In earthly joy and sorrow…"
- Alice E. Chase, 'Four Feet In Heaven'.
5. "Friend, please don't mourn for me
… And within your heart I long to stay."
- Chelsea Hanson, 'I'm Still Here'.
6. "Now I must go by some other round,
Which I shall never find."
- Rudyard Kipling, 'Four Feet'.
7. "Don't think of her as gone away –
her journey's just begun."
- Ellen Brenneman, 'Her Journey's Just Begun'.
8. "There's something missing in my home,
I feel it day and night."
– Susanne Taylor, 'My Forever Pet'.
Pet Memorial Quotes
A pet is a part of most families, and a pet beholds an important space and role, so here are pet loss quotes to remember and inscribe on your pet urn or stone.
9. "Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day. It is amazing how much love and laughter they bring into our lives and even how much closer we become with each other because of them.”
– John Grogan.
10. "If there is a heaven, it's certain our animals are to be there. Their lives become so interwoven with our own, it would take more than an archangel to detangle them."
– Pam Brown.
11. "For animals, there is no Geneva Convention and no peace treaty — just our mercy."
- Ingrid Newkirk.
12. "A pet is never truly forgotten until it is no longer remembered."
- Lacie Petitto.
13. "Hear our prayer, Lord, for all animals; May they be well fed and well trained and happy. And, we pray, protect specially, dear Lord.
- Russian Prayer.
14. "I consider this to be an excellent project, long overdue — so many animals served, suffered and died in the wars and this memorial will be a fitting tribute to them."
- Major General, The Duke Of Westminster.
15. "I'm a great dog fanatic. My own dog died a little while ago and I take it very personally when things die—it's a major offence."
- Clive Barker.
Quotes About Dogs
Amongst animals, dogs are considered to be the most favorite pet of humans. Here are some quotes about dogs to celebrate your little friend.
16. "Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them, and filling the emptiness we didn't ever know we had."
- Thom Jones.
17. "Dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love."
- Gilda Radner.
18. "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
- Groucho Marx, 'The Essential Groucho'.
19. "A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself."
- Josh Billings.
20. "The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too."
- Samuel Butler.
21. "The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's."
- Mark Twain.
22. "The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs.”
- Charles de Gaulle.
23. "Petting, scratching, and cuddling a dog could be as soothing to the mind and heart as deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer."
- Dean Koontz, 'False Memory'.
24. "Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog, it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs your heart is very big."
- Erica Jong.
Cute Dog Quotes
Here you find quotes on cute dogs and on pet loss. Though pet loss quotes are hard to take in, it sets a gentle reminder that our dogs in heaven are peaceful and smiling.
25. "A good dog never dies... He walks besides you on crisp autumn days when frost is on the fields and winter's drawing near."
- Mary Carolyn Davies.
26. "The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master."
– Ben Hur Lampman.
27. "A dead dog is more quiet than a house on the steppes, a chair in an empty room."
- Per Petterson.
28. "The bond with a dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth can ever be."
29. "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
– Will Rogers
30. "You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
– Robert Louis Stevenson.
31. "Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."
– Mark Twain.
32. "His ears were often the first thing to catch my tears."
– Elizabeth Barrett Browning.
33. "The pain passes, but the beauty remains."
– Pierre Auguste Renoir.
34. "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
– Roger Caras.
35. "It's difficult to understand why people don't realize that pets are gifts to mankind."
- Linda Blair.
36. "Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really."
– Agnes Sligh Turnbull.
Pet Loss Quotes
These pet loss quotes will definitely relieve your grief, as these pet loss quotes will help you find peace and solace.
37. "It is a terrible thing for an old woman to outlive her dogs."
- Tennessee Williams.
38. "Grief is so painfully real, regardless of its origin. The love of, and attachment to, an animal friend can equal that of human relationships. Likewise, the loss of an animal can be just as devastating."
- Rev. Joel L. Morgan.
39. "No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich."
- Louis Sabin.
40. "A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes."
- Gene Hill.
41. "The dog is the most faithful of animals and would be much esteemed were it not so common."
- Martin Luther.
42. "Sometimes losing a pet is more painful than losing a human because in the case of the pet, you were not pretending to love it."
- Amy Sedaris, 'Times'.
43. "Your eternal connection with your pet endures physical death, and they continue to guide you and watch over you from the Other side."
- Karen A. Anderson.
44. "Of all the animals, surely the dog is the only one that really shares our life... It is the only one that becomes so fond of us that sometimes it cannot go on living after its master dies."
- Ferdinand Mercy.
45. "Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives."
- John Galsworthy.
Quotes About Dogs And Cats
Here is a collection of some sayings about the most loved pets, cats, and dogs to help you revisit some memories. You will also find some dog memorial tattoos quotes for the memory of your beloved pet.
46. "The little cat who is the companion of our house.
Keep her safe as she goes abroad
And bring her back to comfort us."
- Russian Prayer.
47. "If you have a dog, you will most likely outlive it; to get a dog is to open yourself to profound joy and, prospectively, to equally profound sadness."
- Marjorie Garber.
48. "When the cat you love becomes a memory the memory becomes a treasure."
49. "The dog of your boyhood teaches you a great deal about friendship, and love, and death."
- Willie Morris.
50. "For those who love dogs, it would be the worst form of a lie to call any place where dogs were banned 'Paradise'. Certainly no loving God would separate people from their canine friends for eternity."
- Stanley Coren.
51. "No louder shrieks to pitying heaven are cast,
When husbands or lap-dogs breathe their last."
- Alexander Pope.
52. "In his grief over the loss of a dog, a little boy stands for the first time on tiptoe, peering into the rueful morrow of manhood. "
- James Thurber
53. "The misery of keeping a dog is his dying so soon. But, to be sure, if he lived for fifty years and then died, what would become of me?"
- Sir Walter Scott.
54. "God turns clouds inside out to make fluffy beds for the dogs in Dog Heaven...God watches over each one of them. And there are no bad dreams."
55. "I think God will have prepared everything for our perfect happiness. If it takes my dog being there in Heaven, I believe he'll be there."
- Rev. Billy Graham.
56. "When an animal dies who has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge."
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for dog memorial quotes, then why not take a look at funny animal quotes or rescue dog ?
*Do you know where this quote originated? Please email us to let us know at [email protected]
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.