Get inspiration for education!
Subscribe for virtual tools, STEM-inspired play, creative tips and more
'Beowulf,' the Old English epic poem, was written in the tradition of Germanic heroic legends.
The author of 'Browulf' remains unknown to the world. It is said to have been written around 700–1000 AD.
About 3,182 alliterative lines of the epic exist, which help us to study the text. Students who are interested in learning more about English Literature have to study 'Beowulf' quotes because of their importance. 'Beowulf' narrates the story of an eponymous hero who goes on the adventure to kill the monster Grendel and Grendel's mother. Beowulf met death as a warrior hero while saving his kingdom from the onslaught of a dragon.
Famous Quotes From 'Beowulf'
'Beowulf' is a hero's story about having the courage to face the demon Grendel just with his sword. Though no book was found, here are some quotes from the epic poem that will blow you away. This section has some very good quotes from 'Beowulf' that have a meaning.
1. "Hanging high
From the rafters where Beowulf had hung it, was
Arm, claw, and shoulder and all."
2. "All over the world
Men wise in counsel continue to remember him.
We come in good faith to find your lord
And nation's shield, the son of Halfdane.
Give us the right advice and direction."
3. "He has done his worst but the wound will end him.
He is hasped and hooped and hirpling with pain,
Limping and looped in it. Like a man outlawed
For wickedness, he must await
The mighty judgment of God in majesty."
4. "Then Beowulf spoke—on him the armor shone, the mail-shirt linked by the skills of the smith: Hail to you, Hrothgar! I am Hygelac's kinsman and devoted thane; already in youth I have done many glorious deeds…"
5. "Grendel's hatred began,
. . . the monster relished his savage war
On the Danes, keeping the bloody feud
Alive, seeking no peace, offering
No truce, accepting no settlement, no price
In gold or land, and paying the living
For one crime only with another."
6. "Fate will unwind as it must!"
7. "Do not grieve, wise warrior! It is better for each man That he avenge his friend than to mourn him much."
8. "Death is not easily escaped, try it who will; but every living soul among the children of men dwelling upon the earth goeth of necessity unto his destined place, where the body, fast in its narrow bed, sleepeth after feast."
9. "The fire-dragon had destroyed with flames the stronghold of the people, the land bordering the sea, the fortress of the nation. For that the war-king, the prince of the Weders, planned terrible vengeance."
10. "I heard that Beowulf gave Queen Hygd a neck-ring wondrously ornamented, given him by Wealhtheow, now his gift to royal Hygd, with three graceful horses bearing shining saddles."
11. "The old man's mouth was silent, spoke
No more, had said as much as it could;
He would sleep in the fire, soon. His soul
Left his flesh, flew to glory."
12. "His spirit was sad, restless and ready for death—his fate drawing near, which would seek out the old warrior to find the hoard of his soul, and to sever the tie of his life with his body."
13. "Sometimes at pagan shrines they vowed offerings to idols, swore oaths that the killer of souls might come to their aid and save the people. That was their way, their heathenish hope; deep in their hearts they remembered hell."
14. "Like ice when the world's
Eternal Lord loosens invisible
Fetters and unwinds icicles and frost
As only He can, He who rules
Time and seasons, He who is truly
15. "The Almighty Judge of good deeds and bad, the Lord God, Head of the Heavens and High King of the World, was unknown to them."
Hero Quotes From 'Beowulf'
Beowulf in the tale is first a hero who then goes on to be the King. His adventures didn't stop at killing Grendel. He went on to kill Grendel's mother to avenge the people of his kingdom. These important quotes from 'Beowulf' are examples of how Beowulf is an epic hero in the poem. Beowulf aided King Hrothgar to fight Grendel which was his start of being a hero and he took death by being a hero.
16. "You hold power with balance, with wisdom of mind… And you shall bring peace to your people for a long time to come, a source of strength to the heroes."
17. "Grendel discovered himself/In a handgrip harder than anything/He had encountered in any man."
18. "Not even the sharpest of swords could have cut it [Grendel's hand] through, broken it off the monster's arm and ended its life, as Beowulf had done armed only with his bare hands."
19. "That was a true trophy which the battle-brave Beowulf set down before them, under the hall-roof—the hand, arm, and shoulder, with Grendel's claw, all connected together."
20. "Then battle-brave Beowulf ordered that Hrunting Be brought to Unferth, for him to take back that sword, The beloved blade, and thanked him for that gift."
21. "Defend your life now with the whole of your strength. I shall stand by you."
22. "They sang of his valor, and his deeds of great strength, With all their power praising the hero—as it is fitting For a man with his words to praise his friendly lord."
23. "I have traded my life for this treasure
so be sure to use it for the good of our country."
24. "They said that he was, among all the world's kings, the mildest of men, and the most kind in giving, the most gentle of men, and the most eager for fame."
25. "And so he survived, the son of Ecgtheow, every one of the dangers of brutal battles, his tests of courage, till at last the day came when he would be forced to fight with the dragon."
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for quotes from 'Beowulf' then why not take a look at [quotes from 'Frankenstein'], or [quotes from 'Gone With The Wind'].
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.