Get inspiration for education!
Subscribe for virtual tools, STEM-inspired play, creative tips and more
To digest the philosophy and ideas that maths and fun come together can be a bit complicated and tricky for students.
Formulas and proofs have often been complained about by students, yet there are a few things that are more satisfying than solving a math problem. The real tragedy that we have all faced is in forgetting the value of those complicated formulas during tests and examinations.
For many, math may not have exactly been your friend but there is a way to forget the horror the subject might have given you. You and your friend or family members can get over your fear of math formulas and lines by reading these funny math quotes. Additionally, teachers may also like to use these to cheer up their class. So, go through these funny math quotes, find out which one you like, and enjoy!
The Best Math Quotes
Here are some funny math quotes for the classroom, the best ones capture everything mathematics is like.
1. "Math is the tool specially suited for dealing with abstract concepts of any kind and there is no limit to its power in this field."
– Paul Dirac.
2. "There are two ways to do great mathematics. The first is to be smarter than everybody else. The second way is to be stupider than everybody else — but persistent."
— Raoul Bott.
3. "Mathematics is the music of reason."
-James Joseph Sylvester.
4. "I am still waiting for the day I'll use mathematics integration in real life."
- Derrick Obedgiu.
5. "Why do children dread mathematics? Because of the wrong approach. Because it is looked at as a subject."
— Shakuntala Devi.
6. "It is not of the essence of mathematics to be occupied with the ideas of number and quantity."
– George Boole.
7. "A mathematician is a person who can find analogies between theorems; a better mathematician is one who can see analogies between proofs and the best mathematician can notice analogies between theories."
- Stefan Banach.
8. "The product of mathematics is clarity and understanding. Not theorems, by themselves... In short, mathematics only exists in a living community of mathematicians that spreads understanding and breathes life into ideas both old and new."
- William Paul Thurston.
9. "12 for 23… It doesn’t take a genius to see that’s under 50 percent."
– Dick Vitale.
10. "I’ve always been interested in using mathematics to make the world work better."
— Alvin E. Roth.
11. "Mathematics is much less formally complete and precise than computer programs."
- William Thurston.
12. "But in the new math approach, the important thing is to understand what you're doing, rather than to get the right answer."
- Tom Lehrer.
13. "The study of mathematics, like the Nile, begins in minuteness but ends in magnificence."
- Charles Caleb Colton.
14. “The elegance of a mathematical theorem is directly proportional to the number of independent ideas one can see in the theorem and inversely proportional to the effort it takes to see them.”
― George Polya.
15. “But above all I wish to designate the following as the most important among the numerous questions which can be asked with regard to the axioms: To prove that they are not contradictory, that is, that a definite number of logical steps based upon them can never lead to contradictory results.”
― David Hilbert.
Funny Math Quotes For The Classroom
Here are some fun math quotes, funny quotes about math, funny maths quotes for students, and funny math sayings. Enjoy!
16. "Mathematics is a hard thing to love. It has the unfortunate habit, like a rude dog, of turning its most unfavorable side towards you when you first make contact with it."
— David Whiteland.
17. "Mathematics may not teach us to add love or subtract hate, but it gives us hope that every problem has a solution."
18. "In real life, I assure you, there is no such thing as algebra."
– Fran Lebowitz.
19. "If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then 9 times out of 10 it will."
— Paul Harvey.
20. "It's fine to work on any problem, so long as it generates interesting mathematics along the way - even if you don't solve it at the end of the day."
21. "Arithmetic is where numbers fly like pigeons in and out of your head."
- Carl Sandburg.
22. "Since the mathematicians have invaded the theory of relativity, I do not understand it myself any more.”
— Albert Einstein.
23. "I have hardly ever known a mathematician who was capable of reasoning."
24. "That awkward moment when you finish a math problem and your answer isn’t even one of the many choices."
— Ritu Ghatourey.
25. "I'm so glad I learned about parallelograms instead of how to do taxes. It's ready handy this parallelogram season."
26. "Decimal has a point."
- Paul Harvey.
27. “Sometimes it happens that a man's circle of horizon becomes smaller and smaller, and as the radius approaches zero it concentrates on one point. And then that becomes his point of view.”
― David Hilbert.
28. "The greatest unsolved theorem in mathematics is why some people are better at it than others."
- Adrian Mathesis.
29. “The essence of math is not to make simple things complicated, but to make complicated things simple.”
- S. Gudder.
30. "It's easy to identify people who can't count to ten. They're in front of you in the supermarket express lane."
- June Henderson.
Famous Math Quotes
Here are some inspirational mathematical quotes, motivational quotes for kids, and classroom quotes to inspire your imagination and tell what mathematics is really like, beyond lines on a page. Enjoy these final math quotes!
31. "Any impatient student of mathematics or science or engineering who is irked by having algebraic symbolism thrust on him should try to get on without it for a week."
– Eric Temple Bell.
32. "Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub."
- Richard J. Trudeau.
33. "Mathematics is not a careful march down a well-cleared highway, but a journey into a strange wilderness, where the explorers often get lost."
- W.S. Anglin.
34. “Mathematics is the cheapest science. Unlike physics or chemistry, it does not require any expensive equipment. All one needs for mathematics is a pencil and paper.”
― George Polya.
35. "If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is."
— Johann von Neumann.
36. "Mathematics is a game played according to many simple rules with meaningless marks on paper."
— David Hilbert.
37. "Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater."
– Albert Einstein.
38. "Mathematics, possesses not only truth, but a supreme beauty cold and austere, like that of sculpture, without the gorgeous trappings of painting or music, yet sublimely pure, and capable of a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show."
- Bertrand Russell.
39. "Mathematicians can and do fill in gaps, correct errors, and supply more detail and more careful scholarship when they are called on or motivated to do so. Our system is quite good at producing reliable theorems that can be solidly backed up."
40. "Math is the science which uses easy words for hard ideas."
– Edward Kasner.
41. "Round numbers are always false."
– Samuel Johnson.
42. "If I were again beginning my studies, I would follow the advice of Plato and start with mathematics."
— Galileo Galilei.
43. “The different branches of Arithmetic are Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.”
- Lewis Caroll.
44. "Mathematics is the supreme judge; from its decisions there is no appeal."
- Tobias Dantzig.
45. “Mathematics, you see, is not a spectator sport. To understand mathematics means to be able to do mathematics. And what does it mean [to be] doing mathematics? In the first place, it means to be able to solve mathematical problems.”
― George Polya.
46. "Mathematics is like love; a simple idea, but it can get complicated."
47. "Arithmetic is being able to count up to twenty without taking off your shoes."
- Mickey Mouse.
48. "To me, mathematics, computer science, and the arts are insanely related. They’re all creative expressions."
— Sebastian Thrun.
49. “Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.”
- J. H. Poincare.
50. "Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics."
— Dean Schlicter.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for funny math quotes, then why not take a look at these [funny science quotes] or [funny quotes for kids] for more great quotes?
*Do you know where this quote originated? Please email us to let us know at [email protected]
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.