Get inspiration for education!
Subscribe for virtual tools, STEM-inspired play, creative tips and more
'The Sopranos' is an American television series that centers on Tony Soprano, an Italian-American mob boss from New Jersey, and the personal and professional struggles that lead him to seek a therapist.
'The Sopranos' had quite a hefty run, with a total of six seasons and 86 episodes on HBO. Throughout its run, it was highly valued and seen as one of the best shows on television, which is why it still holds a strong fanbase today.
The series cast includes the renowned James Gandolfini who plays Tony Soprano, Edie Falco, Michael Imperioli, Lorraine Bracco, Jamie-Lynn Sigler, Tony Sirico, and others. If you love to quote every line from the show and discuss every scene from 'The Sopranos' with their friends, you're going to love the sopranos quotes we've compiled!
If you liked this list, check out Tony Soprano quotes and [family first quotes].
Popular 'Sopranos' Quotes
Here are some of the top quotes from 'The Sopranos'. Characters like Tony and Dr. Melfi live in our hearts even though they last came to our screens little over a decade ago.
1. "Those who want respect, give respect."
- Tony Soprano, Season Two, 'The Knight In White Satin Armor.'
2. "You steer the ship the best way you know. Sometimes it’s smooth. Sometimes you hit the rocks. In the meantime, you find your pleasures where you can."
- Junior Soprano, Season Three, 'He Is Risen'.
3. "If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them."
- Tony Soprano, Season Four, 'Whoever Did This'.
4. "Sometimes it’s important to give people the illusion of being in control."
- Dr. Jennifer Melfi, Season One, 'Meadowlands'.
5. "Don’t ever say you hate life. That’s blasphemy."
- Jason Cahill, Season One, 'Meadowlands'.
6. "When you’re married, you’ll understand the importance of fresh produce."
- Tony Soprano, Season Two, 'D-Girl'.
7. "Other people’s definitions of you, sometimes they’re more about making themselves feel better. You gotta define yourself."
- Christopher Moltisanti, Season Five, 'Sentimental Education'.
8. "I figure I'm gonna have to do 6,000 years before I get accepted into heaven and 6,000 years is nothin' in eternity terms."
- Paulie Walnuts, Season Two, 'From Where Yo Eternity'.
9. "One thing about us wiseguys, the hustle never ends."
- 'The Sopranos', Season One, 'College'.
10. "More is lost by indecision than by wrong decision."
- Carmela Soprano, Season Four, 'Whitecaps'.
11. "Teddy Roosevelt once gave an entire speech with a bullet lodged in his chest. Some things are just a matter of duty."
- Junior Soprano, Season Three, 'Another Toothpick'.
12. "The highway was jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive."
- Christopher Moltisanti, Season Five, 'Long Term Parking'.
13. "Next time there won't be a next time."
- Phil Leotardo, Season Five, 'Where's Johnny?'.
14. "Ralph Cifaretto: I hate to do it, Artie. But I think I'm going to pass.
Artie Bucco: Why not?
Ralph Cifaretto: Cause if you don't pay me back, I ain't gonna be able to hurt ya."
- 'The Sopranos', Season Four, 'Everybody Hurts'.
15. "Genetic predispositions are only that: predispositions. It’s not a destiny written in stone. People have choices."
- Dr. Jennifer Melfi, Season One, 'Down Neck'.
Best 'Sopranos' Quotes About Family
This list includes some of the top statements made on the show about family. These quotes are something that can live in our minds forever.
16. "Let me tell you somethin'. I don't care how close you are, in the end your friends are gonna let you down. Family: they're the only ones you can depend on."
- Tony Soprano, Season Six, 'Members Only'.
17. "Someday soon, you’re gonna have families of your own and if you’re lucky, you’ll remember the little moments like this, that were good."
- Tony Soprano, Season One, 'I Dream Of Jeannie Cusamano'.
18. "For every 20 wrongs a child does, ignore 19."
- Janice Soprano, Season Two, 'Toodle-oo'.
19. "They’re the vehicle that gets us here. They drop us off and go on their way. They continue on their journey. And the problem is that we keep trying to get back on the bus, instead of just letting it go."
- Tony Soprano, Season Six, 'The Second Coming'.
Riveting 'Sopranos' Quotes About Crime And Power
Here are some of the best quotes from 'The Sopranos' about crime, power, and being one of the top players in the game.
20. "You know, you got a reputation for immaturity, and its not gonna be improved by not paying the tributes the acting boss demands of you."
- Tony Soprano, Season One, '46 Long'.
21. "It's war. Soldiers, they kill other soldiers. We're in a situation where everyone involved knows the stakes and if your gonna accept those stakes you gotta do certain things."
- Tony Soprano, Season Two, 'From Where To Eternity'.
22. "Meadow Soprano: Dad, I've lived in the house all my life. I've seen the police come with warrants. I've seen you going out at three in the morning.
Tony Soprano : So you never seen Doc Cusamano going out at three in the morning on a call?
Meadow Soprano: Did the Cusamano kids ever find $50,000 in krugerrands and a .45 automatic while they were hunting for Easter eggs?
- 'The Sopranos', Season One, 'College'.
23. "Now, you liked Jackie, so you don't want to believe that he did this to himself. So, like a lot of other people, you go around looking for bogeymen to blame - bogeymen with Italian names."
- Carmela Soprano, Season Three, 'Army Of One'.
24. "It’s good to be in something from the ground floor. I came too late for that and I know. But lately, I’m getting the feeling that I came in at the end. The best is over."
- Tony Soprano, Season One, 'College'.
Funny 'Sopranos' Quotes
These funny 'Sopranos' quotes will cheer anyone up.
25. "Phil Leotardo: We're friends of your son, from Alcoholics Anonymous.
Joanne Moltisanti: What's your name?
Phil Leotardo: We're anonymous."
- 'The Sopranos', Season Five, 'All Due Respect'.
26. "Tony Soprano: Are you still feeling sick, Hon?
Christopher Moltisanti: Please! They've gotta replace her colon with a semi-colon."
- 'The Sopranos', Season Five, 'Long Term Parking'.
27. "Paulie Walnuts: First place I'm hittin' is Denny's!
Christopher Moltisanti: I know. Get like five of those Grand Slam breakfasts."
- 'The Sopranos', Season Three, 'Pine Barrens'.
28. "Livia: I phoned your house. Some operator answered the phone. I couldn't understand a word she was saying.
Tony: Ma, how many times do I gotta tell you, that's not an operator, it's an answering machine."
- 'The Sopranos', Season One, '46 Long'.
29. "Take it easy, we're not making a western, here."
- Junior Soprano, Season One, 'Denial, Anger, Acceptance'.
30. "Is there a commandment against eating ziti?"
- Carmela Soprano, Season One, 'College'.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for great 'Sopranos' quotes then why not take a look at [mob quotes], or 'The X Files' quotes?
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.