Get inspiration for education!
Subscribe for virtual tools, STEM-inspired play, creative tips and more
These quotes about the winter solstice will get you into the spirit of cozy winters.
“Happy Solstice,” “Merry Yuletide,” and “Happy Yule”, are just some of the winter phrases people use to greet others on winter solstice. Which winter solstice greeting message is your favorite?
The winter solstice marks the onset of winter, it is the shortest day. The winter solstice falls on 21 December each year, when the day is shortest and the night is longest. The day is celebrated across the globe as a symbol of the Earth's rebirth, the changing seasons and the changing of crops. Alcyone, the Kingfisher Goddess, is also said to be the winter solstice Goddess. It is believed that, when she rests for two weeks every year, the wild seas become calm, the wild animals tame, and the weather changes.
So, if you are looking for funny winter sayings, funny winter quotes, quotes about winter fun, winter season quotes, beauty of winter quotes or quotes about the winter solstice, then keep on reading all of these quotes about winter time.
Winter Humor Quotes
When the day becomes shorter and nights become longer, and the temperature drops it is near to winter solstice. On winter solstice people often eat warming foods, such as nuts, berries, spices, potatoes, and venison during the winter solstice to keep you warm. Here are some quotes for the winter solstice to remind you about the fun winter times. These quotes about winter solstice would make the perfect caption for winter picture on social media.
1. “Winter bites with its teeth or lashes with its tail.”
- Montenegro proverb.
2. “Perhaps I am a bear, or some hibernating animal underneath, for the instinct to be half asleep all winter is so strong in me.”
- Anne Morrow Lindbergh.
3. "I was just thinking if it is really religion with these nudist colonies, they sure must turn atheists in the wintertime."
- Will Rogers.
4. “Nothing burns like the cold.”
— George R.R. Martin.
5. "Snow was falling, so much like stars filling the dark trees that one could easily imagine its reason for being was nothing more than prettiness."
— Mary Oliver.
6. “Do planning in spring, learning in summer, execution in autumn and enjoy your success in winter”.
7. “A man says a lot of things in summer he doesn’t mean in winter.”
- Patricia Briggs.
8. “I like these cold, gray winter days. Days like these let you savor a bad mood.”
- Bill Watterson.
9. "I remember, in the winter of our first experiments, just seven years ago, looking on snow with new eyes."
- Edward M. Purcell.
10. "And finally Winter, with its bitin', whinin' wind, and all the land will be mantled with snow."
- Roy Bean.
11. "There are only two seasons - winter and baseball."
- Bill Veeck.
12. "Even in winter an isolated patch of snow has a special quality."
— Andy Goldsworthy.
Cute Winter Quotes
If you are looking for the best winter quotes, including short winter quotes, quotes about winter is coming, love in winter quotes, happy winter solstice quotes or winter quotes about love, then you are in right place. We have compiled a list of winter solstice sayings and quotes on winter sun just for you.
13. "The first snow is like the first love."
14. "Then comes Winter, with bluster and snow, That brings to our cheeks the ruddy glow…"
- Gertrude Tooley Buckingham.
15. "Winter is the time of promise because there is so little to do – or because you can now and then permit yourself the luxury of thinking so."
- Stanley Crawford.
16. "I love the scents of winter! For me, it's all about the feeling you get when you smell pumpkin spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, gingerbread, and spruce."
- Taylor Swift.
17. “Even the strongest blizzards start with a single snowflake.”
— Sara Raasch.
18. “I love snow for the same reason I love Christmas. It brings people together while time stands still.”
— Rachel Cohn.
19. "The winter solstice has always been special to me as a barren darkness that gives birth to a verdant future beyond imagination, a time of pain and withdrawal that produces something joyfully inconceivable, like a monarch butterfly masterfully extracting itself from the confines of its cocoon."
- Gary Zukav.
20. "The Winter Solstice is the time of ending and beginning, a powerful time — a time to contemplate your immortality."
- Frederick Lenz.
21. "It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade."
- Charles Dickens.
22. “Kindness is like snow; it beautifies everything it covers.”
— Kahlil Gibran.
23. "Sometimes, you need to revamp yourself over the winter, participate in things that make you appreciate what you have."
- Hannah Teter.
24. “Today we celebrate light and honor the wisdom of the shadows. In connecting with the natural world in a way that honors the sacred immanence in all things, we establish a resonance with the seasons.”
― Dacha Avelin.
25. "Let us love winter, for it is the spring of genius."
— Pietro Aretino.
26. "Solstice is the reason for the season, so it is our duty to pay respect to them."
27. "This is the solstice, the still point of the sun, its cusp and midnight, the year's threshold and unlocking, where the past lets go of and becomes the future; the place of caught breath."
- Margaret Atwood.
28. "I celebrate the spirit of Christmas. It's the winter solstice celebration, rebirth and new possibilities."
- Ian Astbury.
29. “There is an invincible summer in every personality which one can learn by going in the depth of the winter."
— Robert Frost.
30. "Spring passes and one remembers one’s innocence. Summer passes and one remembers one’s exuberance. Autumn passes and one remembers one’s reverence. Winter passes and one remembers one’s perseverance."
- Yoko Ono.
Motivational Winter Quotes
Here we have listed lots of winter motivational quotes, positive winter quotes, quotes about winter morning, quotes about staying warm in winter, winter nature quotes, and quotes for winter holidays. So, what are you waiting for and check out these famous winter quotes and good winter quotes to share with your loved ones?
31. “Winter forms our character and brings out our best.”
— Tim Allen.
32. "With the turning of the wheel of time, let us keep our patience and rejoice in the winter solstice."
33. "No winter lasts forever; no spring skips its turn."
— Hal Borland.
34. "Even the strongest blizzards start with a single snowflake."
— Sara Raasch.
35. “Winter is not a season, it’s a celebration.”
— Anamika Mishra.
36. "If winter comes, can spring be far behind?"
— Percy Bysshe Shelley.
37. “The color of springtime is flowers; the color of winter is in our imaginations.”
— Terri Guillemets.
38. "What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness."
— John Steinbeck.
39. “It is the life of the crystal, the architect of the flake, the fire of the frost, the soul of the sunbeam. This crisp winter air is full of it.”
— John Burroughs.
40. “In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy.”
— William Blake.
41. “Today we celebrate light and honor the wisdom of the shadows. In connecting with the natural world in a way that honors the sacred immanence in all things, we establish a resonance with the seasons.”
― Dacha Avelin.
42. "In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."
- Albert Camus.
43. "Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home."
- Edith Sitwell.
44. “Snow brings a special quality with it — the power to stop life as you know it dead in its tracks.”
— Nancy Hatch Woodward.
45. "As it somehow always manages before the winter solstice, but never after, the early darkness was cheerful and promising, even for those who had nothing."
- Mark Helprin.
46. "We build statues out of snow, and weep to see them melt."
— Walter Scott.
47. “Snow falling soundlessly in the middle of the night will always fill my heart with sweet clarity.”
— Novala Takemoto.
48. "Even the strongest blizzards start with a single snowflake."
— Sara Raasch.
49. "You can't get too much winter in the winter."
— Robert Frost.
50. "Kindness is like snow. It beautifies everything it covers."
At Kidadl, we have created lots of family-friendly quotes for everyone! If you liked our winter solstice quotes and first day of winter quotes, why not try these cold weather quotes or 'A Christmas Story' quotes too?
*Do you know where this quote originated? Please email us to let us know at [email protected]
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.