Loggerheads Country Park
- Visit Loggerheads Country Park to explore the nature of north Wales, with many activities on offer, from horse riding, water sports and more.
- Check out the heritage sites nearby for your dose of lead mining history, culture and sightseeing in the countryside.
- Don't miss out on the stars at night and check out the dark skies, which makes for an unforgettable experience, and great family bonding time.
Explore the Clwydian Range in North Wales and make a trip to Loggerheads Country Park, home to stunning tall cliffs, parkland, river valley's, the dramatic Devil's Gorge, Loggerheads, and more. This is the perfect place to connect with nature, taking a relaxing stroll on one of the Loggerheads walks and bonding with the family. With well defined paths, a Discovery Trail and gorgeous rolling hills and valleys, your little ones will have a blast of a time. With dramatic cliffs and outcrops, as well as a well marked Discovery Trail, there is so much to do in this coveted Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Not just a natural beauty, Loggerheads has significant historical ties, with a mining and industrial history, this pretty woodland area is a has remains of lead mining, among the outstanding natural beauty. If you follow one of the paths, the left one, you'll find it carries you through where the old water course was constructed into the path, in order to aid the mining work that took place. This travels through the whole of the Alyn Valley, through the cliffs and high paths. Get active on your walks and see which flora and fauna you can spot amongst the diverse range of wildlife, you and your family can marvel at the imposing limestone cliffs, learning all about nature in north Wales. Your little ones will be enthralled by the immense power of the river, and how its energy powered the flour mill that's on site. Plus, be on the lookout for wooden sculptures and carvings to find the likes of lizards and bats in the trees.
Don't miss out on the diverse array of activities that take place if you're looking for things to do in Ruthin, as this is one of the best country parks in Wales. You can choose from guided walks, abseiling in the gorge, among practical tasks so you can learn to be like Bear Grylls. Plus, there are food markets, so you can sample the best of Loggerheads produce, and events like performances by choirs and more. Check out the tea gardens where the kids can run around while you relax having a snack. For more fun in north Wales, check out Greenacres Animal Park to meet some furry friends, play in the soft play barn area and have a go at some Victorian fairground rides for the best time.
Have fun on the water, where your little ones can get involved in paddle-boarding, plus canoeing and rafting. This is especially fun as you can also go Gorge walking, among some kayaking fun, creating a memorable experience for the whole family. This great during the summer, where you can visit Llangollen, plus you're nearby other great water-based activities, the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct nearby.
Or, why not make it a weekend trip? Stay overnight to catch the beauty and magic of the dark skies at the Clwydian Range. Obviously the area is stunning during the day, but at night you get the chance to see the stars as this is a magnificent dark sky location. Star gazing here is like no other and it's one of the best things to do in Mold when you're here at Loggerheads. For history buffs, check out the heritage sights nearby like Castell Dinas Bran in Denbighshire, just over a 30 minute drive away. Castell Dinas Bran is a hill top castle, built in the 13th century. If you're after a heritage site a bit closer, check out the Jubilee Tower in the Clwydian Range on the highest hill range, Moel Famau, marked as an area of outstanding beauty in Loggerheads Country Park.
Get active and go horse riding in the lush landscapes, with miles and miles of land for you to explore, riding through streams, rolling hills, mountain, and more, the Clwydian Range is just delightful for horse riding. *Plus, there are centres that give lessons and advice on how to ride, providing information and even a horse. Your little ones will love riding their way through streams and landscape, this is one of the best ways to really immerse yourself in the area. *There are lots of other events you can attend in the Denbighshire's countryside, from dry stone walling, Easter Egg Hunts, Christmas festivities and more. Even just watching the sun set here makes for an unforgettable experience, so be sure to check it out.
Check out the Countryside Centre at the Clwydian range, where you can learn lots about the pathways around the park and its surroundings around Loggerheads and all the other great things you can do here. For more north Wales days out, check out Wepre Park home to an ancient castle, waterfall, a kids playground area, sporting pitches and lots of open space for imaginative fun, connecting with nature.
What to know before you go
- Loggerheads Country Park opening times are Winter: 8am to 6pm. Summer: 8am to 9pm
- When you're feeling peckish, check out Loggerheads Country Park cafe, known as Caffi Florence, open daily, serving great meals, snacks and drinks. Plus, there are picnic spots just outside the cafe if you want to bring your own food, the kids can run around then, too. If you're after some pub grub, nearby is a local pub.
- There are toilets, gender neutral baby changing facilities and accessible toilets.
- There are accessible pathways and walkways for those using wheelchairs and pushchairs, although as this is a natural parkland area, some parts may be less accessible, and depending on weather, too.
- Loggerheads Country Park is located near the River Alyn and the Clwydian Range of mountains, in North East Wales,
- If travelling by public transport, Conway Street, Mold is is 2 min walk and Bethesda, Mold is around a 6 min walk.
- If travelling by car, from the North, you can access Loggerheads Country Park via The A55 expressway which goes through the M62, M53 and M56. From the South, use the the A5 and M56
- There is parking on site.