Get inspiration for education!
Subscribe for virtual tools, STEM-inspired play, creative tips and more
'The Andy Griffith Show' was on air for eight seasons from 1960 to 1968 on CBS.
Starring renowned comedian Andy Griffith, at the age of 34, in the lead role, the show was one of the biggest TV phenomena of the '60s. The show was centered around the Mayberry sheriff's office, a fictional town in North Carolina.
The show was popular throughout its airtime. It is a part of the few shows who were at their top Nielsen ratings. The show has had a very consistent fan following because of Andy Griffith. The easy explanation for this popularity is the show's serene, lighthearted nature. Even though it was set in a sheriff's department, it kept its focus on the comedy. The main reason the show was a hit was due to the chemistry between Don Knotts and Andy Griffiths. It was also a very quotable show, spawning quotes from Andy Griffith that are referenced even to this day. Here is a curated list of fan-favorite Andy Griffith quotes and the most memorable Andy Griffith sayings.
If you want to check out other articles with amazing quotes, you can check out [Andy Dwyer quotes] and Andy Bernard quotes.
Amazingly Funny Andy Griffith Quotes
We have some of the top fan favorite Andy Taylor quotes for you. These Andy Griffiths quotes are hilarious and will entertain you, introducing you to 'The Andy Griffith Show'.
1. "It doesn't take courage to be a winner. It does take courage to be a good loser... now, you wanna be a good loser, you'll be proud of your friends that did win and you'll congratulate them for it."
- Andy Griffith, season two, episode 13, 'A Medal For Opie'.
2. "I once knew a horse that didn't even know how to fix a sore finger. Played a great guitar, but was nothing with first aid."
-Andy Griffith, season one, episode six,'Runaway Kid'.
3. "Barney, you want my honest opinion? I don't believe that dog can find his own food dish."
- Andy Griffith, season five, episode six, 'Barney's Bloodhound'.
4. "When a man carries a gun all the time, the respect he thinks he's getting might really be fear. So I don't carry a gun because I don't want the people of Mayberry to fear a gun. I'd rather they respect me."
- Andy Griffith, season five, episode 23, 'TV Or Not TV'.
5. "You date one woman all the time and pretty soon people start taking you for granted. They don't say, 'Let's invite Andy' or 'Let's invite Elly' No, they say. 'Let's invite Andy and Elly!' See, then it's 'Andy and Elly', 'Elly and Andy...'"
- Andy Griffith, season one, episode 11, 'The Christmas Story'.
6. "I don't know why I am always getting my britches caught on my own pitchfork."
-Andy Griffith, season one, episode six, 'Runaway Kid'.
Marvelous Mayberry Quotes from Side Characters
The Andy Griffiths show features a very colorful cast of recurring characters. While not occupying as much screen time, they can sometimes parallel the main duo with their quick-witted humour. This is a list of the best side character quotes from 'The Andy Griffith Show', featuring the top Floyd The Barber quotes.
7. "Time heals everything. Know who said that? My Latin teacher in barber college."
- Floyd Lawson, season three, episode nine, 'Floyd The Deceiver'.
8. "I always enjoy cutting Barney's hair. His ears kind of wing out and it gives you room to work."
- Floyd Lawson, season five, episode two, 'Barney's Physical'.
9. "This isn't a living room. This is a combination closet, warehouse, wastepaper basket, and storeroom."
-Aunt Bee Taylor, season one, episode 23, 'Andy And Opie, Housekeepers'.
10. "You know something, sheriff, that haircut of yours may be city style, but your heart is shaped like a bowl."
- Briscoe Darling, season four, episode five, 'Briscoe Declares For Aunt Bee'.
11. "I don't trust my own judgment when I'm sober."
- Otis Campbell, season five, episode 18, 'The Rehabilitation Of Otis'.
12. "Well, I courted her as proper as proper can be. First off I wrote her a love note asking her to go on out with me. And then I tied it on to the prettiest rock ya ever did see...and then I give it the prettiest toss ya ever did see... right through the front window!"
- Ernest T. Bass, season four, episode 17, 'My Fair Ernest T. Bass'.
Bonus Compilation Of Best Barney Fife Quotes
Unlike standalone Otis Campbell quotes or Briscoe Darling quotes, Barney Fife's best quotes are often to do with the banter between Andy Taylor and himself. Still, there are a few gems of Barney Fife one-liners in 'The Andy Griffith Show'.
13. "Boy, giraffes are selfish."
- Barney Fife, season three, episode 30, 'Dogs, Dogs, Dogs'.
14. "I ain't got time to stand around here and discuss trivial trivialities."
-Barney Fife, season two, episode two, 'Barney's Replacement'.
15. "Well, today's eight-year-olds are tomorrow's teenagers. I say this calls for action and now. Nip it in the bud. First sign of youngsters going wrong, you've got to nip it in the bud."
- Barney Fife, season three, episode 14, 'One-Punch Opie'.
Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for quotes from Andy Griffith then why not take a look at Andy Rooney quotes, or [April Ludgate quotes].
The Kidadl Team is made up of people from different walks of life, from different families and backgrounds, each with unique experiences and nuggets of wisdom to share with you. From lino cutting to surfing to children’s mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family.