The ocean is full of so much wonder and mystery but ever thought of using it as a source for good baby names for girls?
There are so many amazing baby names that mean ocean or are inspired by the sea that would make the perfect addition to your family. Find a so-fish-ticated and beautiful name for a baby girl from this list and have your own ocean baby in the house.
Well, water you waiting for?
'Sea' Names For The Ocean
1. Aerwyna (English origin) means 'friend of the sea'.
2. Aqua (Latin origin) means 'water'.
3. Avisa (Sanskrit origin) meaning 'ocean'.
4. Cari (Turkish origin) means 'flows like water'.
5. Cordelia (Latin and Celtic origin) meaning 'heart' and 'daughter of the sea'.
6. Daria (Persian origin) from the word 'darya' which means 'sea'.
7. Delmare (French origin) means 'of the sea'.
8. Delta (Greek origin) means 'mouth of the river' and is where a river splits before it meets the ocean.
9. Derya (Turkish origin) means 'one who is from the ocean'.
10. Doria (Greek origin) meaning 'from the sea'.
11. Eldoris (Greek origin) means 'of the sea'.
12. Firtha (Scottish origin) means 'arm of the sea'.
13. Haf (Icelandic origin) means 'sea'.
14. Hali (Greek origin) meaning 'sea'.
15. Jaladri (Sudanese origin) means 'ocean'.
16. Jordan (Hebrew origin) meaning 'one who descends' or 'to flow down'.
17. Kai (Hawaiian origin) means 'sea' - a unisex name for boys and girls. Variation - Kaia.
18. Kailini (Hawaiian origin) means 'sea and sky'.
19. Kairi (Japanese origin) means 'ocean village'.
20. Kendra (English origin) means 'magical' or 'water baby'.
21. Maraja (Esperanto language) means 'made of the sea'.
22. Marcelline (French origin) means 'defender of the sea'.
23. Marella (Latin origin) means 'shining sea' or 'star of the sea'.
24. Marina (Latin origin) meaning 'of the sea'.
25. Marissa (Latin origin) means 'of the sea'.
26. Maya (Hebrew, Spanish, Greek origin) meaning 'water'.
27. Meri (Estonian and Finnish origin) means 'sea'.
28. Mira (Sanskrit origin) means 'ocean'.
29. Moana (Hawaiian and Maori origin) means ‘ocean’.
30. Morgana (French origin) meaning 'sea-circle' or 'dweller of the sea'.
31. Muriel (Irish origin) meaning 'of the bright sea'.
32. Murigen (Iranian and Indian origin) means 'the sea-born'.
33. Oceana (Greek origin) female form of 'Oceanus', the god of the sea.
34. Samudra (Indian and Sanskrit origin) meaning 'the ocean'.
35. Serena (Latin origin) means 'clear, tranquil', often associated with the calm of the water.
36. Shui (Chinese origin) means 'she who comes from the water'.
37. Thalassa (Greek origin) meaning 'from the sea'.
38. Umiko (Japanese origin) meaning 'child of the sea'.
39. Yara (Brazilian origin) means 'water lady'.
Sea Creature Names
1. Angel (Old English and French origin) usually associated with spiritual beings this is also the given name sea snails have despite being a predatory breed of the species.
2. Baiji (Chinese origin) means 'white-finned dolphin' and is a species also known as the Chinese river dolphin.
3. Coral (English origin) means 'reef formation'.
4. Coraline (English origin) means 'heart' but is inspired by the semi-precious sea species.
5. Delphina (Greek origin) translates as 'woman from Delphi' but is derived from the word 'dolphin'.
6. Faridah (Arabic origin) means 'matchless pearl'.
7. Marrus (Norman origin) meaning 'a marsh' and also the name of a unique rocket-like sea creature.
8. Megara (Greek origin) meaning ‘pearl’.
9. Merida (Spanish origin) possibly a form of the Celtic name ‘Mairead’ meaning ‘pearl’.
10. Moray (Scottish origin) means 'sea' and is the name for an eel-like predatory fish.
11. Omura (Japanese origin) a species of baleen whale.
12. Pearl (English origin) produced in the sea it is the birthstone of June.
13. Peg (Greek origin) meaning ‘pearl’.
14. Ridley (English origin) means 'Reed clearing' but is also the name for a small tropical turtle.
15. Rosemary (Latin origin) means 'sea dew' and is also the native herb of the Mediterranean.
16. Zelva (Slovenian origin) means 'turtle'.
Names From The Beach
1. Aukai (Hawaiian origin) means 'sailor'.
2. Bo (Chinese origin) meaning 'wave'.
3. Bondi (Italian origin) comes from the word 'biondo' which means 'blond' but it also the name of a very popular beach in Australia.
4. Coralia (Greek origin) translates to 'like coral'.
5. Galia (Hebrew origin) means 'wave of God'.
6. Ginevra (Italian origin) meaning 'white wave'.
7. Haven (English origin) literally means 'safe place' but is also used as a name for a harbour for small boats.
8. Jennifer (Cornish origin) meaning 'white shadow, white wave'.
9. Lana (Gaelic translation) from the word 'ailin' meaning 'little rock'.
10. Marley (English origin) meaning 'pleasant seaside meadow'.
11. Mary Rose (English origin) name of a famous shipwreck.
12. Meena (Hindi and Sanskrit origin) meaning 'fish'.
13. Molly (English origin) means 'of the sea' but is also the name for a breed of fish.
14. Morwen (Welsh origin) means 'maid, 'great' or 'white sea'.
15. Muir (Scottish origin) meaning someone who lived on a moor.
16. Naia (Basque origin) means 'wave' or 'seafoam'.
17. Ondine (French origin) meaning 'wave of the water'.
18. Sandy (Greek origin) name meaning 'protector of mankind' but also has a very beach-like feel.
19. Shelley (Old English origin) recorded to mean 'meadow's edge' or 'clearing on a bank' and is now strongly associated with the seaside.
20. Tallulah (Native American origin) means 'leaping water'.
21. Vanora (Welsh origin) meaning 'white wave'.
Mythical Creatures Of The Sea Name
1. Ariel (Biblical Hebrew translation) means 'lion of God' and is the name for The Little Mermaid herself.
2. Asherah (Sumerian origin) meaning 'she who treads on the sea' and is one of the most ancient Sumerian goddess mother figures.
3. Calypso (Greek origin) literally means 'she that conceals' but is the name of a sea nymph in Greek mythology who fell in love with Odysseus.
4. Coventina (Celtic origin) Celtic baby name meaning 'water goddess'.
5. Ezili (African origin) means 'goddess of water, beauty, and love'.
6. Halcyon (Greek origin) generally known from Greek mythology as a bird had the power to calm the seas.
7. Hama (Japanese origin) meaning 'beach, seacoast, seashore'.
8. Indra (Indian origin) means 'possessing drops of rain'.
9. Kelpie (Celtic origin) name for a shape-shifting aquatic creature from Scottish legend.
10. Lorelei (German origin) meaning 'temptress' due to the legend of Lorelei who lived on the rocks and lured fisherman to death with her song.
11. Makara (Indian origin) means 'born under Capricorn' but is also a name of a mystical sea-creature in the Hindu faith.
12. Mazu (Chinese origin) is the goddess of the sea in Chinese culture.
13. Meredith (Welsh origin) has many meaning one of which is 'seal lord'.
14. Naida (Arabic origin) means 'water nymph'.
15. Narissa (Greek origin) meaning ‘sea nymph’.
16. Nerida (Greek origin) means 'mermaid'.
17. Nimiane (Old English origin) from the Arthurian legend the name means 'The Lady of the Lake'.
18. Noelani (Hawaiian origin) means 'mist of heaven'.
19. Remora (Latin origin) translates to 'delay' from the ancient belief that 'remoras' could stop ships by uttering their name.
20. Sedna (Native American origin) meaning 'goddess of the sea'.
21. Sereia (Portuguese origin) translates to 'mermaid'.
22. Sirena (Greek origin) derived from the sirens in Greek mythology; mystical sea creatures that change form.
23. Ula (American origin) means 'jewel of the sea' and also the name of a precious stone found underwater.
24. Varuna (Ancient Sanskrit origin) the name of a Hindu goddess of the sky and sea who also lives down under.
25. Venus (Greek origin) means 'goddess of love' but in Greek mythology, she rose from the sea.
Kidadl has lots of great baby names lists to inspire you, not just these names for your baby girl. If you liked our suggestions for baby names that mean ocean then why not take a look at nautical names, or for something different take a look at mermaid baby names.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.